We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

Planning 1st trip to Cabo to surprise wife for 40th b-day. Leaning toward staying at the Finisterra since it looks fairly nice and is close to town. Going to Cabo Aug 10-14. Is this a pretty good hotel for the price? What are "musts" for Cabo? Any advise is appreciated!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,143 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

Haven't stayed at either, but absolutely love the beach at Finisterra-no swimming, but great waves, good for long walks, no vendors, and very close to town. The Marina is practically at the end of the hill-driveway! Have toured, and it looks very nice. The old section, at the top of the hill was beautiful-back in the mid-'70's.............the pool area is extremely nice. That said, the grounds at Villa de Estancia are also very, very lovely! Haven't been inside though. I am partial to Solmar beach though. Musts for Cabo-you will get tons of ideas here! One must for us is usually a trip to Todos Santos for lunch at Cafe Santa Fe...............Fishing-now that's a must for lots of folks! Shopping-eating, drinking, sunning, relaxing!

BC
Level Contributor
397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

Finisterra for location and value, Villa La Estancia for a first class resort. So many choices of things to do! Use the search bar on this site. Make sure you get out on the water. Bring lots of sun protection. There is a world out there that must be experienced to be fully appreciated. Fishing is a good option, much more than a chance to hook a great fighting fish. It's an opportunity to see one of the world's great sea life areas up close. Dolphins, turtles, game fish and much more. You will appreciate the beauty of the desert landscape even more when you see it from the water. Have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still undecided.

Am I better off on Medano Beach at someplace like the Pueblo Bonito resorts or on the "other side" at the Finisterra? We're really interested in nice pools for laying out all day, decent rooms and restaurants, and being close to town.

These are my main criteria. Any further advice is greatly appreciated!

BC
Level Contributor
397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

I am a 25 year visitor to Cabo and am probably biased to the Solmar Beach area, however, from your criteria I think you would love the Finisterra. The Pacific side may also be a little cooler at that time of year. The pools at finisterra are great. Most reviewers seem to like the rooms on the upper levels in the palapa wing. If closer access to the beach parties at Medano Beach and great rooms (at a price) are more important choose Villa La Estancia.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

Ok, I've done more looking and I've narrowed it down to Finisterra and Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos Blanco. Anyone been to either of these?

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

I just got back from cabo on Saturday and stayed at the Finisterra from July11-16th. It was a wonderful place to stay and such a great deal. I am not sure if they still have it but the 4th night is free and if you stay there for 7 days i believe you get the 6th for free. Look on their website, they should show the prices. We loved our room, it was clean and we were never really there. Only to sleep and change. I would recommend planning any activities early becuase they get booked up really fast. You can do it all in the lobby, they can plan all your activities for you. And yes, it is very close to town. we never got a taxi, which is expensive. You just take a walk, which is not that bad, only if you dont like to walk you would complain. It is right next to the marina where you can catch a water taxi to other beaches or find snorkeling tours. I would also recommend staying in the new palaba club section. The older section is futher up the hill. Let me know if you have any other questions. We will stay there again next time we go!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finisterra or Villa de Estancia

I was leaning somewhat toward Pueblo Bonito, but Finisterra it is! They have a 4th night free deal that makes them $600 bucks cheaper than Pueblo Bonito for the two of us. That's a lot of party cash at Cabo Wabo....tell Sammy I'll see him there!

Thanks to all who offered advice!