We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
294 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

How is the diving in thia area? Is the water rough? Are there sharks?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

Luvtravel25- My father has dove many times in Cabo. He loves Cabo Pulmo... I hear it's a bit of a drive, but well worth it. I just got certified and the dive shop has tons of pictures from Cabo, so I believe it's safe to say Cabo has good diving. Not sure about the rough water, but I'm sure if you stay away from the pacific side you'll stay away from the undesirable water. I read a post about sharks, so I'd think they are there too.

When are you going? I'll be in Cabo for Labor day... let me know how your diving was if you go before I do!

Happy diving!

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

ok there are steep drop offs, seals(also birthing place for whales is sea of cortez) and anyplace there are seals are sharks. Don't dress like a seal, remember sharks sensitive area is their nose and if you are in a group of divers you can circle dive and bump their bellies like porpoises do to take them out. Serioulsy this is a great diving area-check with the shops at home and cabo, be sure to ask about sand falls

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

see yahtmerchants answer to diving with whale sharks

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

Don't dive, but friends that have, rave about the underwater sand falls! It was an earlier topic here-many weeks ago.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
341 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

I dove the cabo Pulmo last year, incredible, it was my first time diving also, got me so excited I came home and got certified. Never seen so many different colored starfish. Got to see a whole sea floor of snakes that looked like weeds swaying in the ocean, pretty neat.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

Lardo-you may have just banished the faint thought of ever trying it right out of my head!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
341 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

LOL!, sorry about that, I remember the dive master looked and me and pointed, then shook his head and pointed in the other direction. We avoided it. He told me what they were later on, but I can't remember for the life of me. If you saw the reef I was swimming through though, you would do it :)

Phoenix
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

Oh my gosh, I don't know if I am excited or nervous... I'm so new to diving, I just hope the dive master dives with me and lets me know about things like the snakes... yep, now I'm nervous. :)

St. Louis
Level Contributor
341 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

Dont worry, you are TOTALLY safe, the dive masters are awesome, he showed them to me, gave me the danger sign, and me moved on, no big deal. Glad I got to see them not ofter you get to see something like that.

West Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: scuba diving- Is there good diving here?

lardo5150,

What company did you dive with in Cabo Pulma (sp?) and do you recommend them?

michelle