We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing home fish?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, TX
12 posts
Save Topic
Bringing home fish?

I have a fishing trip setup for this Saturday. I've heard of people taking their catch and having a restaurant cook it for you. Is this true? Can anyone reccommend any restaurants. We are staying at Hacienda Beach Resort. Also, can you bring your catch home? If so, what is the process? This would be truly wonderful if it is possible. Thanks to all who post information on this board. It has really helped me prepare for my trip.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,752 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing home fish?

You will get some more detailed answers, but-YES, you can bring it home. It can be frozen, and you should take an ice chest and the blue ice things. Just watch the weight, as over-weight/extra bag charges can be high.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing home fish?

jp78,

Bringing fish home is relatively easy. Take a cooler sufficient to bring home you catch but small enough to check on board. We freeze water bottles and place a couple of layers of newspaper on the bottom of the cooler put the frozen fish on the paper. put the frozen water bottles on the fish and tape the cooler shut. Be certain to bring extra tape for your trip home as the cooler will more than likely be opened several times by customs etc. and it is up to you to retape it. Dry ice is not available in Cabo. We use a cooler that has wheels which we can also take to the beach or on the boat etc. We pack thing we will consume while there is the cooler for the trip down so you are utilizing the space efficiently. Hope this helps. Buena Suerte........ jim

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing home fish?

jp, most of the restaurants on or near the marina will cook your fish for you. Try Solomon's Landing, the Crazy Lobster, the Fish House, La Parrillada, Pocho's (not Pancho's), Los Ajos to name a few. The restaurant at the Hacienda will also probably do it for you.

Temecula, CA
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing home fish?

we will be fishing with Solmar Fleet and the package we got says they include filleting and freezing service. Does anyone know if this includes a cooler or should we bring one?

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing home fish?

momo,

you will need to bring a cooler. we use a 68Qt. cooler on wheels. works well and we can use it anywhere as it easy to roll along, even in sand. Buena Suerte... jim

Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing home fish?

Yacht - we were planning to just buy our cooler there. We are also fishing with Solmar. Any suggestions on where to buy or how much to expect to pay?

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing home fish?

tam,

i would buy the cooler at Costco. the prices are about the same as they here in the states. Buena Suerte.... jim

california
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing home fish?

Yacht,

As a customs novice, filling the cooler with consumables on the way down, does this include booze? Is it legal?

also, are you going to be down there anytime between june 30 and july 9?

Bob

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing home fish?

redneck

we put the essentials in the cooler for the trip down, you know vodka, burbon etc as well as other items we know we will either leave there or dispose there. I will indeed be there, just trying to get my act together after 3 days tuna fishing and this place is a madhouse. Buena Suerte.... jim

california
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing home fish?

Yacht,

thanks, we will have to get together and pickle our livers while we are there.