We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

For the last three weeks I have been reading about comments about the Riu as we were supposed to stay there starting tomorrow, Friday, June 24th. We have been switched to Dreams resort, any comments, or suggestions would be helpful. I have read the reviews, but maybe some other couples or families are going and would like to meet. We are a family of five, 40 year olds, 22 year old, 18, and 17 year old. Any comments would be great!

California
Level Contributor
729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

Hi Sandra,

I was just going to post to you, as we were talking about meeting for a drink there next week. Wow, I am sorry to hear your plans have been messed with. I hope you get some answers. I think you said your last name was Ellis? Let me know so we can try to meet.

Good luck,

Chica

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,975 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

Whom did you book through? Did they offer any reasons? Dreams should work out fine, but I understand your frustration. Just remember, a bad day in Baja is better than a good day most every place else! You will have a wonderful trip, even though things have changed on you. I would double check when you get there, just to make certain you aren't able to get the Riu. ENJOY.

Sandusky
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

Hi Sandra, this isn't related to your question directly, but I know the Dreams in Cancun is better than the Riu's - all except thr Riu Palace. When in Cabo, try to do the fun bars - Giggling Marlin, Cabo Wabo, El Squid Roe. They're a blast, and even a fun place to go in the daytime. The marina is a real fun place to hang out and have a few cold ones. My husband and I took a side trip (rented a car) to Todos Santos, where THE hotel California is and is was well worth the 1 1/2 drive. The drive was beautiful the Pacific to the left and the mountains to the right. It's a small, artsy town with nice art and boutique shops and good restuarants. Be sure to take a boat trip out to see El Arco at sunset - so beautiful! Have fun and have a maragrita for me.

PS - try the Damiana liquor. It's a mild, yellow liquor in a "female buddah" type bottle. Delicious!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

I have stayed in neither but dreams looks a lot nicer than the palace. You will be a distance from cabo so get a car.

Sandusky
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

That's the only bad thing about Cabo, most of the hotels are not within walking distance of the town. San Jose Del Cabo, just north of Cabo San Lucas is a great little town as well. The Tropicana has an awesome breakfast! And be sure to skip the timeshare sellers in the airport. Just act like you know what you're doing and where you're going, lest they take up your precious vacation time with their sales pitch!

Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

Thank you to all for responding. I am feeling better now that I have accepted the change. My family is a fun group so I know we will have terrific times and wonderful memories. Response to Katd: We booked a 6 apple square deal with a charter flight from Detroit. 3 weeks ago apple cancelled the charter because they could not fill it and offered us a charter the next day from Chicago. We denied that and they offered us regular flights from Detroit but with a stop in Houston for two hours first. To compensate our frustration and so we would not cancel this $5000.00 plus trip they offered us the Riu palace and we accepted. They said we would not get a confirmation until the day before, well guess what they changed their minds and I feel mislead. When this all happened I should have cancelled and rebooked with another agency. Thanks for the concern. This advisor forum has been alot of fun.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,975 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

Sandra, don't give up on it. Contact the supervisors and continue to bug them about it. At least you will have Dreams, at best you will have the Riu. You will have a great time either way, but it just may help if you do bug them. Take names, times, etc., and give it a go. It can happen.

I think having a great family gathering like that sounds fantastic!

Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

Thanks for your advice.

Sandy

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

Funny you should post this. I've booked Dreams through Hotwire for check in on the 29th and I'm worried I'll be bumped to Riu! I suppose it all depends on what you are expecting. Hope everything goes well for you.

If your still at Dreams on the 29th, maybe we'll se you.

-Brad

Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day before, and we have been switched to the Dreams resort...

We will be there until July 1st. We are a family of five. Parents that are 40's, a 22 year old, 18, and 17 year old. Our last name is Ellis and we all have dark hair and medium skin. We will be lounging quite a bit by the pool bar. Hope we meet you.