We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St Louis
4 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

Anyone staying at the Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27?

This will be our first Cabo trip for my wife and I. We are pretty excited about the trip and have valued all of the information that has been provided from this forum.

What is the best way to make purchases? Any advice?

DOLLAR----PESO----CREDIT CARD

Texas
Level Contributor
409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

SR

They take dollars almost everywhere in Cabo. Your change may be in Mexican Pesos so take plenty of small bills. It is good idea to take plenty of ones to tip with (maid, etc.). I would want to have some Pesos and your best exchange rate can be found there in Cabo San Lucas (exchange booths, banks, Amer Express in mall). I took AE travelers checks and cashed them (to Pesos) at AE booth in the mall. Usually is a better rate than at restaurants. Also, the exchange rate changes daily.

Credit cards sometime charge a fee for conversion of Pesos to USD. Might want to check with card you might use there to find out. I have seen on forum where card info was abused but I believe not common. American Express did not charge me a fee on my car rental. Atm's have a good fee also.

Hope this helps. Ya'll are going to have a great time. Relax and go with the flow of a different and wonderful culture.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

Srgriffin - we'll just miss you. We arrive 7/1. I hope you enjoy the Sheraton as much as we always have. Look for Joel at the Bell Desk - he's friendly, smart and a great guy. Make sure to find the listing of Happy Hours (I think it starts at 11 at the pool bar) and follow them around during the day for the 2for1 drinks.

As far as money is concerened, we use dollars and pesos for everything but the hotel bill. If you pay in dollars, sometimes vendors will give you change in pesos. I found a great web site that gives you a cheat sheet for money conversion:

www.oanda.com/converter/travel?lang=en. I print one out for dollars to pesos and also one for pesos to dollars and put them in my purse (my brain just doesn't work in a way that I can convert the rates in my head). I can't tell you how many times they've come in handy for me.

Have fun!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

A number of people have reported problems with having their credit card numbers "passed on" to others after using them in Mexico. We use cash, period (except for car rental; they won't take cash there). We use dollars; the difference in the price isn't worth bothering with exchanging.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

Would love to hear all about your trip/stay at the Sheraton. I have reservations for my family of 5 at the Sheraton at the end of July and would love to hear your reviews and such.

thanks!

philly
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

I just got back from cabo and found it best to have small (1,5,10) dollar bills. And get some pesos alsos.

some bars and clubs have signs posted 11 pesos per dollar which is the best rate you will get anywhere. so use cash there.

some stores and vendors will say 100pesos or $10 cash. so here it is best to use pesos.

a note about credit cards: I didn't use it much but some restaurants will give you 10% off your bill if you use cash/pesos as opposed to credit cards. (LaGolandrina-trailer park & Capo San Giovanni are two that did this)

The atm machine gave a really good rate at 10.86 however I did have a $3.50 international withdrawl fee on my account when I got home (PNC Bank)

las vegas
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Hacienda June 20 - June 27 (Money Question)

My husband and I along with a few friends just got back on June 7th. We were in Cabo for the first time and stayed at the Sheraton Hacienda delMar. We had a beyond amazing trip. It does cost between $20-25 to cab into town. There is a shuttle however, never felt like waiting. Many times we were able to find people on the streets and share cabs, not a big deal. Meals at the hotel are VERY expensive however, in town food is great and so are the prices. We at breakfast at the golf course clubhouse of the hotel (a little secret a timeshare guy told us about). Free shuttle that will pick you up if you just ask the front desk. They also pick you back up. No charge. Breakfast is great there. Atmosphere a bit stuffy. (Golfers and wives) for me. But a great deal and very beautiful. The hotel is nothing short of magnificent, in every regard. We spent about $3000.00 for our six days including airfare, hotel, shopping and eating drinking etc. We did take an hour or so and did the Sheraton timeshare, free breakfast and I bartered for a $100.00 dining certificate for any restaurant at the hotel. My husband and I used it for De Cortez Steakhouse. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary at De Crotez over the most romantic and tasty restaurant ever. We ate at sunset with the waves right in front of us. The service throughout the property was outstanding as were the guests. At the swim up bar pool people were always friendly and we all swam and talked all day. A small town so at night you would run into others at the clubs. El Squid Roe was our very favorite. We were without kids and wanted to get a bit crazy. That place is nuts. Go with an open mind and have a blast. People are very sexual and handsy but don't get offended just join in the fun. Shopping at the open markets by the marina is where we got our best deals. We bought many authentic items including ceramics which they packaged very well for us. I hop this help many of you. I am sure like we did, you will have the time of your lives!