We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 guys Going to CSL July 21-26...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 guys Going to CSL July 21-26...

ready to go but i heard you need a passport and they wont accept anything else (birth cert/driver license) is this true?

Wyckoff, New Jersey
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 guys Going to CSL July 21-26...

I think that you have to have a raised seal from the State on your birth certificate. This will be changing to you need a passport to go into & out of Mexico, but I am not sure exactly when. You can get your passport in about 2 weeks but there is a pretty steep rush charge for the same.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
199 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 guys Going to CSL July 21-26...

The new year is the start of passport entry only otherwise you will need a birth certificate stamped from the state. You can aquire this by contacting the Bureau of Vital Statistics within the state you were born.

Roxbury NJ
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 guys Going to CSL July 21-26...

currently you need raised seal birth certificate and driver license

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 guys Going to CSL July 21-26...

Easier, just get a proof of citizenship from any notary, costs about 10 bucks. You need it to get on the plane on the American side. On plane you will fill out a blue form which is your tourist visa. That gets stamped when you land, you don't need a passport. It's on the U.S. side that you have to worry about passports etc. Mexican customs just basically waves you in as long as you have your tourist visa filled out. In 2008 we will all need passports to get back into our own country. Bring along a birth certificate and of course driver's license and you'll be fine but get the proof of citizenship for leaving U.S.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 guys Going to CSL July 21-26...

All you need is the birth certificate with the raised seal and any form of government issued identification, such as a drivers license. You do not need any other "proof of citizenship." Others are correct that the issue is not getting in to Mx but getting back into the US. These requirements will be changing beginning at the end of 2005. Requiring a passport for return from Mx is planned for the end of 2006.

The following is "cut & pasted" from the State Department website:

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2005 ��� Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

December 31, 2006 ��� Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

December 31, 2007 ��� Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.