We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Topic
unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

I have begun to see that some people post "unbiased" reviews and forums to earn commissions and other monetary compensation. 'An example is the Referral program at Playa Grande whereby the person making the referral earns $100-$300 per visitor/buyer and that the buffet breakfast in the deal is a timeshare pitch.

I think this is ok if it is made clear to those honestly seeking information on the forum.

I have to admit I stood to gain by mentioning the time share I was offering at Sunset for $599.00...but I think I was pretty upfront about it and my offering is almost "at cost" on this offering.

I won't do it anymore.

Also, I am now wondering how reliable are the suggestions offered on these forums and what is behind those making suggestions?

71. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:09 pm, August 25, 2011
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

utahland-can we please make peace here? You have your beliefs and the rest of us have ours! If you choose to think I am ignorant, that is okay with me, if you choose to think we are attacking others un-justly, I am sorry, but you do not understand where those comments originated, and that is okay also. We have come together on the Baja forum to learn, share and enjoy. Can we please get back to that, and let this just die! Please, go to Baja, enjoy it, fall in love with it like we have, buy a time share on line or at a presentation, purchase an entire hotel-it's okay! If I have personally injured you in some way with my posts, let me know and I will apologise to you. If not, please do not let this continue. We want to continue to share information and enjoy doing it-with you and anyone else that comes to these posts.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
85 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

I think you "regulars" give great advice (esp. KatD) - but -- I do wish you guys would maybe have a chat room of your own to talk amongst yourselves -- I notice that when people are looking for good advice about Cabo and post a question, sometimes they get a whole lot of extra chit chat and comments among you guys, and it is hard for them and others to find "real answers" among the back and forths and jokes you guys share. . . . you have to scroll through pages of jabs before you can get a lot of information from different viewpoints. I don't want to sound rude, but I wish there was less of that. Thanks!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

Good point KB-we do tend to digress a bit. Will try to make sure the questions get answered!

california
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

Utahland:

For the record, I do not accuse..the information I posted was true from someone giving rather nasty input and asking for some rather scrubulous information. Those posts were removed.

This forum should remain genuine for the sole purpose of solid information.

I still remain true to the people that know Cabo.

Ron

california
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

By the way..Sandy....I have already started drinking.

Mucho Gusto.

Ron

77. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:36 am, May 06, 2005
78. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:24 am, May 06, 2005
79. Re: unbiased reviews or commission seekers?

Removed on: 7:32 am, May 06, 2005