We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Fish?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Fish?

I am booking a fishing trip for me and my girlfriend with red rum for next month. The only question I have is what to do with the fish if and when we get them. I don't have the money to have it mounted and I have read on the website that they will smoke or freeze your fish for you... But can you send it home. We are only going to be there a week and I am sure that I can't eat it all there. I am a rookie... could someone shed some light on sending your catch back home?

California
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Fish?

Hello

We Always fish when we go down. We take an ice chest with food/snakcks down with us and use it to bring back any fish we catch. If you catch fish that you would like to keep, either the company you fish with or your hotel can keep it frozen for you. We always take some to a local restaraunt and have them cook it up for us with some side dishes ( most restaraunts will do this) whatever we have left over we bring home in the ice chest. We have never had a problem. Customs will just ask what you have in the chest just be honest and tell them fish. Neighbors always await our return so they can share in our catch.

Cabo_nut

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Fish?

I assume that you are driving from Cali? So the cooler is a great idea, but I am going to be flying... any advice for that?

California
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Fish?

No...we fly...we pack one of those rolling coolers with food/snacks/water and check it as luggage. Since most of the room in Cabo are "condo" style with a kitchen with small fridge, stovetop, microwave, etc. We usually bring stuff for breakfast or to snack on by the pool etc. Helps cut down on costs and allows you to enjoy things they might not have down there. When it is time to go home, we get the fish...wrap it newspaper to help insulate it and pack some zip lock bags with ice and seal it.....It stays plenty frozen for the trip home.

Cabo_nut

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Fish?

Row,

RedRum will freeze you fish fresh or smoked and vaccumed packed. You cannot buy dry-ice in Cabo so we just freeze some "blue ice" and a couple of bottles os water. Remember to bring some pcaking tape for your cooler. bring extra because custons will open it but you will have to resecure it, perhaps more than once. We live in Virginia Beach and it is a good long flight, we have never had a problem getting our fish home in good shape, except on one occassion when the airlines lost our cooler. We take a 68 qt cooler on wheels so that we can put it in the back seat of the car and on the boat and roll it whever. They are cheap. try Sams. Relax enjoy! Suerte!. jim