We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing the Stand Up Rig

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Yachtman and other experts,

How big of a "hoss" do you have to be to catch bill fish with the stand up rig? I have never even been hooked up with a big bill fish, but consider myself in pretty good shape, and my endurance is pretty sound. It seems like it would be a real hoot, but would hate to screw up my chances of a legal release by biting off more than I can chew. What are your thoughts if any? Par

California
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Parman....it al depends on the size of the fish. I have caught many 120-130 striped marlin stand up.......typical fight lasts 30 minutes or so. I would not advise doing it with a 400-500 Blue....You would be dust. The main problem is the back and legs get tired about 1 hour in. 2 years ago it took me 3 1/2 hours to bring a estimated 500 Lber to the boat......I was whopped and I am ex professional athlete still in excellent shape. Bring your belt with you and unless you hook a monster, you should be ok stand up style.

Cabo_nut

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Thanks Cabo Nut,

That's exactly the kind of info I was needing here. I am in good shape, but I am no ex pro-athlete in excellent shape. Thanks for the help!

California
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Parman,

The best fight pound for pound I have found was the Rooster fish. Catching those and 60-80 pound yellow fin will give you quite the workout.You will find that the stripped marlin (130 lb or so) do not fight as hard pound for pound.....standing toe to toe with one of those is fun and very do-able. If you do get tired, there is alway the chair. Tightlines!

Cabo_nut

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Par,

Fighting a fish using a stand up rig is as much about the tackle as it is the size of the fish or anything else including the skill of the Captain in manuevering the boat. Cabo_Nut is right, it is in the back and legs and although, i too am not a former professional athelete(currently a drunk) I have landed some big fish on stand up. If you have massive tackle and big(heavy) line you can crank almost anything in to the transom. If you have ever watched BillFish Xtreme on ESPN@ you will see that this as well as most tournaments use 30lb test line (a la Tred Barta( great fisherman, an aquaintance and a lunatic) and fish stand up rigs. This is as much of an art as it is an athletic event. To be sure Bill fish breach, sometimes dozens of times and this helps the angler. If you are using "light tackle" it takes finnese as well as endurance. I fish the canyons of the Atlantic a lot and we endeavor to catch our fish on stand up outfits.Remember the deck can be slick, the sea unforgiving. Now if you want a real challenge go to Pureto Vallerta and fish the Corbetena for sow Tuna, im talking 300 pound plus YellowFin Tuna fish. We caught a 354lb Tuna fish on a stand up rig and 3 of us traded off for 4 1/2 hours before the Tuna was in the box. I will tell you IMHO there is nothing in the sea that fights like a BIG Tuna fish. For sure a huge Blue or Black is a handfull ,but they leap to the sky. A BIG Tuna goes for the bottom, and in 100 fathoms he has a good ways to go! Pound for pound i would have to say a big chopper Blue Fish on light tackle takes the cake. Bill fish of any ilk are magnificant, a big Tuna, im talking 300 to 700 lbs, is something alltogether different. Stand up, sit down- it dont matter!. Most pedestrian charters use heavy line and tackle to insure the taking of fish which is what the customer demands. Most folks are fortunate to go on a big fish hunt once every few years. They want blood on the deck and fish in the box. There is a vast gulf between,(please forgive me) tourist fisherman and sportfisherman. Read some of the tales of Zane Gray or John Ryobovich, etc. Back in the day! The would hook up on 1000lb BlueFin Tunas that would rip the fighting chair out of the boat, regardless of the tackle. those days are gone, sadly. Want a real treat, tell your charter company you want to hook up on a nice fish on light tackle and a stand up rig! This Feb. I released a 182lb Striper caught on live bait toosed from a 113Penn! This is the same tackle i use to catch Striped Bass on the Chesapeake Bay, where a big fish is 40lbs. It took me 75 min., 5 beers, one half of a very nasty boxed lunch sandwich, and some stale chips! He went back to the ocean from whence he came. I had a shot of good Tequila and a smoke! Suerte!..... jim

california
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Jim:

Eloquently put!

Ron

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Yachtmerchant. Thanks for the killer post. I have read the Zane Grey tales. They are part of what has built my dream of doing this. I have been a sport fisherman most of my life. A different kind than you are, but a sportsfisherman none the less. My idea of fun is using 10 lb test, catching bull redfish in 18-24 inches of water in the salt water marshes of the Gulf of Mexico (believe me, if you haven't done this, it gets out of control)and bass tournament fishing closer to home. After a recent run in with Cancer at only 38 years old (which I have officially kicked it's butt! ) I decided to quit waiting and start doing. So the Marlin fishing in Cabo is first on the list. Next will be Tarpon fishing from the small john boats in Costa Rica. I will probably just do Costa Rica once, I plan on fishing Baja for the rest of my life. Suerte back atcha, Par

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Par,

good to hear you kicked the cancer! I love to catch Red fish.we used to fish the Laguna Madre and also up by Port Aransas using live shrimp on fairly light spinning tackle. Its a real hoot! The Tarpon fishing in Costa Rica is fantastic. Dont forget the Snook. Great light line action. Pretty soon you can add that Marlin to your list! Suerte!.......... jim

California
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Parman,

Congrats on your successful battle! After what you went through their is no stinking fish that will compare. Jim is right, if you want a real challenge....The big tuna is it. A 250 -300 pound tuna is pure muscle built for speed and power. Take a 3 day trip out of San Diego for some big tuna & Wahoo. Good luck and tight lines!

Cabo_nut

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

I have family in San Diego and have often thought about an extended Tuna trip. Where do these boats go, out of San Diego, to be out three days?

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing the Stand Up Rig

Par,

The long range boats go on the Pacific side of the Baja, way out.. I have been on the long range trips from Montauk. Remember this is a large vessle, not a sportfishing boat and you are sharing deck space with many other anglers. They catch a lot of fish but if 3 full days is a little much try looking into the cows they catch out of P.V. Cost would probably be about the same in the long run. ..... jim