We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crime

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
utah
1 post
Save Topic
crime

one thing that is never mentioned is the crime rate,especially among the police. while we were there we had one wallet stollen, one camera stollen and was harrassed by the police. they said we would go to jail unless we paid so much money. anyway, after talking to other tourist everyone of them had a story to tell. until the crime is cleaned up our group will no longer go to cabo san lucas. just wanted to warn you.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crime

You posted something similiar previously. If memory serves, you recieved many suggestions and sympathy at that time. You seem to want to emphasize something that is a world wide situation and make it unique to Cabo. There is virtually no place on the planet where one can go and not fine someone that has has a bad experience there. This situation you have once again mentioned was previously addressed when you posted it before. If you are trying to warn people about there being world wide crime, please do consider us all warned. There have also been suggestions posted as to what to do if you are stopped by the policia. Cabo is considerably less corrupt and has fewer incidences of crime than many cities here in the US. Not something to be proud of, simply the facts.

Portland Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: crime

This was your post in March.

I will repeat what I said then, I think you did buy drugs and got caught in a sting. Only people that look for trouble in Cabo find it. You were looking for trouble and found it big time. I Can not feel sorry for you. 99.9% of the people that go to Cabo never have any problems. One mans opinion: You got caught now live with it, believe me, if you never go to Cabo again. they will not miss you. THER ARE TO MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO TROUBLE AT ALL, the people of Cabo love us and we love them, even the few corrupt police.

'i would like to warn everyone who goes to cabo that the police are aggressive and corrupt. while we were there we had to pay $500.00 because they said we had bought drugs. a few days later my camera was stolen. a couple of days later my sister's wallet was picked at the market. no one speaks english to report anything. you will see alot of police but they aren't there to protect the tourist, they are there to watch for every little thing you do wrong so they can pocket some money. we have tra veled extensively and i have my doubts if i will ever return to cobo. it's a shame because it is a beautiful resort."

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crime

Thank you Trapper! Well said.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: crime

I also saw your post before and felt badly for you. While I'm still sorry if everything you say is true, I have to wonder why you post a second time?? You seem to be trying to trash an area that almost all of us on this forum absolutely love.

I rented a villa my one time to Puerta Vallarta and was broken into. My room ransacked and minor things stolen. I've been to Cabo several times and never had a run-in with crime. I'm certainly not trying to trash PV, but simply saying it doesn't matter where you go or where you live- we're dealing with people, good and bad.

The very reason I keep returning to Cabo year after year is because of the people. Cabo does not have the best beaches, the best food, or the best nightlife- but the people are generally very good people. They have a wonderful spirit that's unique. I couldn't sit back and let you continue to try to make Cabo sound like a crime-filled ghetto. Best wishes to you and "your group". May you find another city to vacation in that you'll be happy with.

Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: crime

Dude, doesn't matter where you go in the world, there's always going to be crime. The more touristy you look, the bigger the target.

As for corrupt police.. that's a global issue. Don't put yourself in a position to get arrested.

On the brightside, if you were caught in the middle of a drug deal, then $500 is much better then a criminal record, deportation, getting a travel ban, etc.

Palmdale, California
Level Contributor
341 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crime

We just returned to Cabo from taking our teens for spring break and felt very safe and none of us and no tourist I spoke to had any incidence with crime whatsoever. We walked to our condo at Terrsaol at midnight and the teens walked home 2-3 am and none of us had any criminal experience. And I was with fairly wild 19 year olds who stated pot was offered to them by various people but they declined. I saw prostitutes one night but just ignored them.

However we were in Paris at Christmas and our camera was stolen at a restaurant but I would still recommend people go to that wonderful city. We have traveled many places in the world and Cabo is one of the safest cities I have been to (and one of the nicest); I felt safer there then I did in Washington DC our nation's capital.

California
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crime

I think his name says it all upsetUtah. How about happyUtah. Right on Katd well said. My wife and I got a little too drunk at Squid Row one night. Don't rember how but got back to Hacienda Del Mar. With no problems. Except for a major hangover. They could of takin the 2000 peso's I had in my wallet and I would have never known.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crime

hmmm...didn't defend his or her position the last time nor this one...I smell something! :-)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: crime

Seems to be the way it works with some posters..........sort of a "hit and run" thing and always with negative posts :-)

BTW-I am sorry I didn't proof my post...............hopefully you all can read what I ment, not what I wrote.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: crime

I, too, have never felt unsafe in Cabo. I've not been there as many times as most of you - only 3 - but I can tell you that I've felt safer on the streets of Cabo @ 3:00 a.m. than I would in my own small town in Idaho! I made an error in judgment once - separated myself from my girlriends, intoxicated, and took a cab by myself to the Corridor back to the hotel very late one night, and nothing happened. Someone could've robbed me blind, as well. I would NOT do that in the town where I live.

I'M coming back to Cabo as many times as I can afford to!