We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Indiana
Level Contributor
335 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

So....It is a bucket list thing for me to sit in one of those chairs on the back of a boat and reel in a Marlin or a Sailfish.

I have never fished before...my husband has fished before but nothing like this.

It's our first time in Cabo and I'm looking for suggestions on fishing tour / operator that would be a good fit for an extreme newbie like myself. I certainly do not want to be the "newbie" on the boat that ruins a trip for the other experienced fisherman/woman on board.

Is there a company out there that might be a good fit?

TIA!!

19 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

All fishing charters are good with "newbies" since over 50% of their clients are "newbies". We have fished many charters in Cabo. Here are our favorites:

Pisces - Great boats , great captains, reasonably priced - piscessportfishing.com/boat-charters-cabo/st…

Blue Marlin - Nice boats, great gear, captains speak great english - http://www.thebluemarlinsportfishing.com/

El Budster - Nice boats, we caught a lot of fish both times we fished with them - http://www.elbudster.co

Cabo Magic - A little more expensive but great outfit - www.cabomagic.com

If you want a short, 5 hour trip close to shore, I would suggest a panga. sushi time - http://www.sushitimefishing.com/

Sushi time is a great deal if you use the los cabos passport card discount ( www.loscabospassport.com )

You can't go wrong with any of these. You will have a great experience.

Good Luck!!

Edited: 1:05 pm, October 17, 2017
Indiana
Level Contributor
335 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

Thank you! Sorry to ask a stupid question, but will a panga have my bucket list chair?? :-)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,968 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

A super panga might have a chair, but a full size cruiser makes more sense to me.

I will echo the suggestions of Blue Marlin or Pisces Sportfishing.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
399 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

Amenities (read private toilet) will be bare bones on a panga. If you want a private toilet, rent a cruiser. And take hand sanitizer whatever boat you go on. Have fun!

Indiana
Level Contributor
335 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

BeachLoverfromLA, thank you for pointing that out!

California
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

If you want a chair, get get a cruiser. Also, better get to the gym and work those biceps, triceps, back, abs, & Legs....lol. Reeling in a 150lb marling or even a 30lb tuna is a workout especially for a female...lol

Indiana
Level Contributor
335 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

Haha, Cabo_nut I have been working!!

Only Sushitime is on the passport card. Their website says that all the pangas have a "head". A head is a bathroom, right? Definitely need a bathroom if we are going to be out there 5 hours or more.

Indiana
Level Contributor
335 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

Ok,nevermind, I just looked through photos of pangas..., I don't think I can do a panga for 5 hours or more..... I'm a cruiser kind of girl!!! LOL

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

If it's a "bucket list" thing to do, definitely go with a Cruiser. The freedom to walk around, get in and out of the sun, washroom on board, it just makes sense. And for the true "chair" experience, a Panga just doesn't cut it. One thing not mentioned is sea sickness ! A Panga will not handle rough water anywhere near as well as a Cruiser. You guys not being ocean fisherpeeps, you will want to consider taking something to avoid getting sick.

One of the charters mentioned is the one I have used for many years, the Blue Marlin. They are at the lowest end of the scale for prices, and they don't cut corners on quality of gear ar anything that will get you "hooked". I highly suggest using them. Contact Luis and he will take good care of you, he's the owner/operator.

thebluemarlinsportfishing.com

You will have an awesome time !!! Happy Fishing

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish

https:/…BisbeesLosCabosOffshore :)

Reply to: Hook a Marlin or Sailfish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted