We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This article is a bit alarming :(

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
Level Contributor
203 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
This article is a bit alarming :(

foxnews.com/world/2017/06/13/2-severed-heads…

Authorities in Mexico's Baja California Sur state say two heads have been found in a cooler just two blocks from the tourist zone of Cabo San Lucas.

One day earlier, the state prosecutor's office announced that two dismembered bodies were found in another cooler in the tourist corridor.

On Sunday, state prosecutors also said the total bodies found after several days of excavation of clandestine graves had reached 18.

The bodies of five women and 13 men were found in 12 graves near the Cabo Pulmo nature reserve. They were discovered off a road that runs between the reserve and the resort of San Jose del Cabo.

The wave of killings in recent months is believed to be tied to battles between drug gangs, including factions of the Sinaloa cartel.

Meanwhile, earlier this month, another journalist has come under attack in Mexico. This time the victim is a woman who hosts a program on an indigenous radio station in the southern state of Guerrero.

State security spokesman Roberto Alvarez Heredia said Marcela de Jesus Natalia was shot in the head on Saturday as she left the government-owned station on the town of Ometepec.

Alvarez says he doesn't know of any threats against de Jesus Natalia, who also has worked for a local family aid agency.

At least six journalists have been killed since the beginning of March in Mexico, prompting an outcry that has led the government to promise efforts to protect journalists.

Guerrero has suffered repeated waves of violence by drug-based criminal gangs.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

United States
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

I'll start being concerned as soon as Americans or other gringos that are NOT involved in the drug trade start getting kidnapped, murdered, etc...

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

If you have friends that live in Los Cabos what is happening is already a big concern. Yesterday there was a car chase and shoot out, apparently in the vicinity of the Delegation. This morning, 6/13, there was an assassination (seemingly a near daily event if you follow the local papers) in the Santa Rosa Colony where a number of my friends live. Oh, and the vehicle that was being driven by the target of the assassination had a five year old boy in it.

When there are bullets flying around like there are now, eventually innocent people will be shot.

Edited: 1:03 pm, June 13, 2017
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

"When there are bullets flying around like there are now, eventually innocent people will be shot."

I agree Eljefe. And it happens nearly every day around the Portland/Vancouver area not far from where we live. It is a horrible shame, but we are not moving. So is your recommendation to stop visiting Cabo?

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

I never said to stop going to Cabo. I am just pointing out that there already is a problem even though tourists have generally not been affected. Right after I posted above, I found another article about two more executions yesterday in Colony El Zacatel just a couple blocks off the highway. I'm so sorry to see this happening and am really concerned that eventually one of my friends will be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

Why is it when gangs have a shoot out in Mexico it's totally frightening but when it happens in the US it's not that big of a deal? I see the situation very similar in Cabo as my home town Fresno, pretty much stay out of the wrong areas and keep away from drugs. In Fresno there are many good families trying to raise their children in bad areas and are at risk just like Cabo.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

Completely agree, Craig S. You don't even have to live in the bad areas to be at risk. Just riding the local transit system puts you at risk as evidenced by a local incident in which three persons were stabbed by a white supremacist (two died). It was a big deal, however, and should always be such. Just not sure what can be done about the risks of moving about in society, either in Cabo or anywhere else.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

I'm not sure if the authorities in the United States use the, UH 60 - Black Hawk Helicopters that are equipped with

Mission: Medium Lift Utility Transport

Manufacturer

Sikorsky

Service

US Army

Armament

2x 7.62mm machine guns

Speed

150 kt

Range

320 nm

Max Load

2640 lbs (or 11 combat-equipped troops

as the Mexicans do in some shootouts with the Cartels in Mexico. While I am sure that the Machine Guns are quite accurate it is NOT something that one would want to occur anywhere near them. Weather the Mexicans would use the UH60 in the Luxury Resort area is unknown.

military.com/equipment/uh-60a-l-black-hawk

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,845 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

I also worry for my friends that live there! As for not being a big deal when this happens here-I think it is a big deal, but we don't happen to be posting on a page for a local town in the US. If I were on the forum for say-Stockton CA, I am thinking I might find people mentioning the horrible shootings there. We talk of this here because this is where we vacation, and some people live.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,901 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

When your friend takes 102 bullets for the bad guy sitting next to him at the bus stop at noon in downtown ZIhua...when another friend is in the restaurant that you used to eat at daily...and is accidently killed by a random shoot out for someone on the street in Zihua...and when your very good friend is kidnapped from her downtown Zihua restaurant...never found...but her old car and her purse were in it...and the guy are now life in prison...which does not bring back your friend...when your friends mother receives on Mother's Day her son's skin from his face...called skinned alive...you know there are problems. None of my friends in the USA have died this way. I know of NO mother every having this happen to her in the USA or Canada. Only my dear Mexican family of friends. To compare what is going on in any city in the USA or Canada to what is going on in Mexico is totally insane. The dangers and the seriousness of the random shootings...being in the wrong place at the wrong time...has absolutely nothing to do if you do/buy drugs or not. Just being in the street at the wrong time...gone. This winter there were wrapped up bodies right by Romeo y Julieta's restaurant and the California Ranch gorcery store. Imagine walking there and seeing that...Fortunately I missed walking that day...or I would have. Please do not compare what is going on in Mexico to the USA/Canada. The severity can not be compared.

Thank you ElJefe and FMSdude for your posts. That shows what the severity really is.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: This article is a bit alarming :(

From my point of view it is a double standard as things happen in Las Vegas but there is no constant posting of "Is it safe?". Nobody's going to post these questions about Fresno or Stockton as they are not vacation destinations. I don't see much difference in being run down by a car on the sidewalk vs. a stray bullet. Let's not forget the bank robbery in LA that had the automatic weapons and body armor, that was about 2,000 rounds. Then there's that terrorism stuff or wackos that like to blow up buildings.

Personally I have been working when there was a double homicide across the street in the middle of the day. Another time while visiting in the LA area someone drove up to the next door neighbors house and opened up fire with a shotgun, luckily it was only bird shot as they were just sending a message. I'm actually considering getting a weapons permit.

Unfortunately when these kids get involved with gangs/cartel they are risking more than just their own life, they make their families at risk also. We can go on and on about this but at the end of the day the world is full of sick wackos. I still say that a drive from Fresno to LA is more dangerous than vacationing in the Cabo area. Not too concerned about being in a shoot out with a helicopter.

Only thing that I can figure out to help this bad situation is to support education that may help the next generation dig themselves out of this mess. This is why I bring down school supplies and donate cash to go towards education. I would have to say that I do more of this in Zihuatanejo as I see it in a much worse situation than the Cabo area. At least in the US you have a better chance at education.