We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to san ignacio

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
surrey
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
getting to san ignacio

I am trying to find best way to get to san ignacio in early April to see the whales. We are travelling from UK and seems to be quite costly and limited in choices of flights into Loreto or La Paz from either USA or Mexico. Any suggestions on how to get there from San Diego or LA much appreciated

Sara

6 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to san ignacio

There are 3 commercial airports in Baja - Loreto (LTO), La Paz (LAP), and San Jose del Cabo (SJD). Cabo is usually the least expensive to fly in to, but it is also the furthest away from San Ignacio Lagoon. From Cabo, you can take the bus, all the way to the town of San Ignacio. You can also take Eco Baja Tours shuttle as far as Loreto, and then take the bus the rest of the way to San Ignacio.

If you do this, you will also need to hire a taxi van out to the lagoon...or, you will need to go with a whale watching company that provides transportation.

The least expensive option would be to rent a car in San Diego and drive down to the lagoon.

Dorset
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to san ignacio

Hi Sara b

Did you take the trip to san Ignacio lagoon? We are flying from U.K. to Loreto via L.A. if you have any tips we would appreciate your experiences. If you drove were you able to purchase petrol (gas) with a C.C. and were there any problems obtaining dollar's from ATM's Hope you made it - if not let me know & I will post after our trip next month.

Rob.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to san ignacio

Many gas stations are not set up to accept credit cards, and you will get the best rates if you obtain pesos for your purchases. There are many smaller businesses (throughout Baja) that will no longer accept US dollars.

You will get the best exchange rate if you use an ATM machine. Of course, many smaller towns do not have banks, or ATMS - Be sure to get your pesos while you are in Loreto, or Santa Rosalia.

Dorset
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to san ignacio

Hi rufflife 731

Many tanks for the tips on Peso's - it seems the best bet is to change up before we depart and travel with a sack full of Peso notes in our baggage! Do you feel we will be safe travelling by road during daytime as a couple - any tips would be appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to san ignacio

Travel in Baja is as safe as anywhere else these days. As long as you are not in the border towns, and do not flash your cash, you should be fine. Personally, I have never had any issues with safety in Baja. I have traveled all over Baja via car, bus, shuttle...

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to san ignacio

Having read on the internet about the drive down from San Diego to Baja and the problems that can be encountered I would not do it, best advice is to read up on it on the internet, no holiday is worth putting yourself in danger.

Reply to: getting to san ignacio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted