We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gringo forum for Hermosillo?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Too far north
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
gringo forum for Hermosillo?

There are good friendly and very active forums for residents and visitors to some places (San Carlos, Baja, etc.). Does anyone know of one for Hermosillo? r maybe just Sonora in general?

Mentioned in this post
San Carlos
San Carlos
Sonora, Mexico
Hermosillo
Hermosillo
Sonora, Mexico
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

No, but I am an American living and working in Hermosillo. Do you have specific questions that I could answer?

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Hermosillo
Hermosillo
Sonora, Mexico
Calgary, Alberta
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Sorry to barge in here, however we do have some questions for Alan, if he would be kind enough to answer.

We are a Canadian Senior couple with a Standard Poodle dog (non shedding and very polite).Looking to find some accomodation in or near Guaymas for the month of January 2006.

We would prefer something with cooking facility that would fit a modest budget, and of course clean and well kept. Any suggestions? ....Bill

Email: ketchadream@shaw.ca

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Hi Bill,

Since I live here in Sonora, I don't have any personal experience looking for short term rental properties in Guaymas.

However, I would recommend that you focus on San Carlos, about 15 minutes north of Guaymas. There are lots of Canadian and American snowbirds there during the winter. There are some hotel/condo rentals available, as well as some private residences. I have some Texan friends that rent a house for a month in the late spring and really enjoy San Carlos.

The Pilar Condominiums appear to be a nice and well-maintained property. They are located between Guaymas and San Carlos. Do a Google search for their web page.

Here are some realtors that may have other rental information for Guaymas/San Carlos:

SnowBird Realty. Caracol turistico 172. just past Marina Terra Hotel. Phone: (622) 226-0551, (622) 226-0088. E-mail: snowbirdrealtysc@aol.com Web: http://www.snowbird-realty.com

Siesta Realty. Lote 202 Sector Loma Sexta, San Carlos. Phone: (622) 226-0557, ph/fax (622) 226-1047. Cel 044-622-109-6629. E-mail: phyllisandpeter@aol.com Web: http://siestarealty.com

Casa de Amigos Realty. Near the Marina San Carlos, next to the Catholic Church. American & Mexican Staff. Direct dial from the US: Phone/Fax 011-52(622)226-1072. Call toll free: 1-888-211-1621.

E:mail rentals@casadeamigos.net web: www.casadeamigos.net

San Carlos Quality Homes. (Builder). Next to the water company, main road. blvd Beltrones. Tel/Fax: (622) 226-0876. E-mail: qhomes@scqualityhomes.com Web: http://scqualityhomes.com

OceanView Realty & Rentals. MarinaTerra Hotel street level shops # 15. Ph 226-1998 . Vonage phone: 1-719-404-3175 , E-mail: fredcarter@prodigy.net.mx

Hope this helps.

Alan

Mentioned in this post
San Carlos
San Carlos
Sonora, Mexico
Calgary, Alberta
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Wow Alan you went to some work here...Thanks!

We did a number of searches and found an R.V. Park in San Carlos called Totonaka, that has a Motel attached that is very reasonable with kitchenette etc. and we can get a Unit there for Enero (wow Spanish allready)

Do you know anything about them? We don't want a cockroach infested holiday, although we are on a limited budget Website looked great! Comments appreciated!...Bill

Mentioned in this post
San Carlos
San Carlos
Sonora, Mexico
Too far north
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Belated thanks to Alan in response to mine.

First something for Bill: there's a very good San Carlos forum here:

http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/forum.htm

Lots of friendly people willing and able to answer your questions. There was a post (or perhaps a thread) not long ago comparing RV parks. I agree with Alan -- you'll be much more comfortable in San Carlos as opposed to Guaymas.

In response to Alan, no, I don't have any specific questions, really, just interested in getting to know Hermosillo more. Lurking on a good discussion forum can be a great learning experience. I'm interested in the possibility of buying a little house in Hermosillo, but that's very much at the window-shopping stage still.

Mentioned in this post
San Carlos
San Carlos
Sonora, Mexico
Hermosillo
Hermosillo
Sonora, Mexico
Calgary, Alberta
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Thanks for pointing me to the Forum, it is absolutely chock full of info. I spent way too many hours yesterday browsing through it, however I am wiser than before. Thanks again!

Alan I have picked off your suggested contacts and will visit while we are there.

What did we do before "the Net"??

Bill

Too far north
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Yes, it's a great forum. Glad you find it helpful.

And Alan, there is a question I have that you might be able to answer off the top your head. I've written to sonora.gob.mex about this, and although my asunto was actualizado about a week ago, I haven't heard back yet.

I'm trying to find out if the paving is finished on the highway running from Magdalena to Sinoquipe, just north of Banámichi in the Río Sonora valley. For the longest time it was paved only Magdalena-Cucurpe, with first plans to pave Cucurpe-Sinoquipe, and now -- it seems -- the work has been done. "Seems" because I've found tantalizing hints here and there on the 'net, but no definitive statement.

If you know one way or another, great. Or if you have any suggestions as to who to contact. I think I'm going to give it another few days, and if I still get nothing back from Sonora government, just call the municipio in Cucurpe or Banámichi.

Too far north
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

ketchadream. one amendment to the comment that San Carlos is preferable to Guaymas: the Hotel Playa Cortes, just outside Guaymas. You can check out the reviews here on trip advisor -- much praise with absolutely none of the usual complaints, and if you google Hotel Playa Cortes and go through the picture gallery, you'll see why. I've not been there, but I've just had confirmation from a trusted friend in Tucson that yes, it's "gracious living", not bargain-basement but very good value for money, and a good taste of genuine Mexico at its best.

Mentioned in this post
San Carlos
San Carlos
Sonora, Mexico
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
1,978 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Hi TC,

The highway is indeed paved from Magdalena all the way through to the Ruta Rio Sonora. It has to be one of the most beautiful drives in Sonora. We drove south from Arizpe then across to Magdalena through Cucurpe. I recommend it.

Alan

Too far north
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Alan, belated thanks for the good news. I'll most definitely take that drive at the next opportunity!