We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using telephone cards in Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
emerson nj
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Using telephone cards in Mexico

Wondering if one can buy telephone cards to call from san miguel to New York at a reasonable rate? Where is a good place to buy cards in SM and any idea what the costs are?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

We bought them many times over the last 2 years on Correo @ the SW corner of Sollano, but when we were there in Jan and again in Feb, we could not find any. One of the guests at Casa Carmen found one in Feb, but SO does not know where.

The cards had rates of $0.26/ min to the US on a land line as I recall when they were available. They were available in $100. and $200. (MXP) sizes. The $50. MXP size was discontinued earlier.

All of my friends are now using VoIP or unlimited cell calling.

I would ask the owners of the B&B where you are staying to investigate for you.

I could never get my (Costco)MCI card to function in MX, 'tho it was fine in the UK and Europe.

Let us know if you find a source.

M

emerson nj
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

Thanks for your information. I am going to write to my B & B and ask them for suggestions. Then I'll post it here as a REPLY.

emerson nj
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

Upon advice from someone here, I finally bought an AT & T card from my local supermarket for $10 for 110 minutes- but I also called to see the rate from Mexico to east coast and it is

5 minutes used up for ever minute you speak--so that makes the card worth about 22 minutes, not 110..... oh well!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

The MCI card at Costco is $19.95 for 670 Min (in the US). No one can explain why it is nonfunctional (tone, pulse, etc.) in MX.

I gave up and take the small, light Vonage router for free VOiP calls to the USA and Canada from MX.

M

Austin, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

What is a VOIP router?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

Actually, the calling cards are now, once again available. The costco MCI card is working as well.

Telemex is blocking the spectrum of Vonage VoIP in many household DSL lines.

If you have an unlocked GSM cell phone, you can buy a telcel chip, but that is more expensive.

M

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

If you use AT&T as your long distance service, you can subscribe to one of their international plans (I forget the actual name of it), which you pay $9.99 per month for. You can subscribe for just one month if you wish. The plan charges something like 8 or 9 cents a minute. If your calls exceed $10, you are not charged the service fee, just your actual call charges. We are not in our house in San Miguel enough to make a Vonage phone an option. So, this plan works very well fo us, especially since we can cancel it during the months we are not in San Miguel.-- Alegria

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using telephone cards in Mexico

Alegria, etal

The advantage of the Vonage (or other US VoIP Router) is its portability: it piggybacks to any broadband modem and permits free calls to the US and Canada from (as far as I know) anyplace. The cost is just over $16. US a month for 500 min incl taxes. That said, Telemex is attempting to block the spectrum on their DSL lines - best reason to have Cable here.

M

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende