We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Coast, US
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

I shipped a bunch of stuff through Solutions before leaving San Miguel. They said they offered packing and shipping for my fragile pottery, other goods and several large paintings made while there. (I'm a full time artist so they do have considerable value) I paid them cash, and off I went. They said they'd pack and ship fedex and all would be well. That was nearly one month ago! I've called several times and very politely asked about my shipments. But I waited three weeks before calling at all even. The reply was "you are not our only customer! We have many, many packages to mail. And you had a lot of stuff, so we have to pack it all." A few days prior to this statement they said it was in transit and even gave me tracking numbers, which fedex said where not in motion. I feel pretty powerless from the US and am not sure what to do. They said don't worry, that they're gonna ship it. But I am worried. I've shipped from India, Guatemala, Belize and never had a situation like this. If the items where not so precious I wouldn't be so concerned... Should I be freaked out or is this a normal thing for San Miguel?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

If they are genuine then calling them every hour might persuade them that it's preferable to get on and send your stuff rather than keep answering the phone. Otherwise your only recourse is a legal one. This government agency is set up to handle complaints from people outside Mexico: profeco.gob.mx/Servicios/quejas_denun_ingles… and I would start with them if you feel you're never going to get your things.

West Coast, US
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

Thank you for taking the time to reply Steve. I'll start calling more often, and maybe I can report them to fedex. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the advice.

Eugene, Oregon
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

Did your items ever arrive from San Miguel?

I am thinking of using Solutions but your experience is so bad, I think I better

not. They are half the price of the other shipper I am considering.... LavVinnias

Greenfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

Well I started a ceramic majolica business from SMA last year and our shipping issues have been horrendous. Every one of the retail shippers that I found double or tripled my cost. The carriers go by cubic measurements, which makes sense. But the packers such as La Solutions, La Union, Multi Envios use so much bubble wrap and newspaper that the cost is very high. In addition, they tend to be inefficient. Multi Envios left something off the customs declaration and it got held up a week (that we didn't have to spare). La Union didn't follow directions (given in detail and in Spanish), had to unpack and repack and charged us $600 (double) for $500 worth of goods. I don't recommend any of them although Multi Envios (near Cafe Monet) was at least honest and refunded my shipping. We finally negotiated with DHL directly, based on volume. I am now returning on Jan. 1 and want to take a mailbox for small samples and letters. Does anyone have experience with that? I think La Connexion has a service out of Cafe Monet (did last year) but I don't see it online.

Greenfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

One thing I will tell you about pestering them is that they are likely to get annoyed and retaliate. They are real busy and the best known. I'll be busy at first but can show up in Jan. if you give me some info, like a receipt number, a name, the amount to ship, etc. I'm woman in my 70's and honest. For next time, the Doloras Hildago potters can ship for you and it takes 2 weeks from purchase.

Karns City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

We returned from our 10 day trip to SMA on Feb 15. We had our purchases shipped by MultiEnvios on the 13th. 3 Separate boxes were shipped . One arrived yesterday (9 working days). We hope the others will arrive today. We made a separate purchase at Fabrica Aurora. They shipped MultiEnvios and tracking indicates it will be delivered today. It seems that if vendors ship for you, you will get good service. If you have thee same pleasant, courteous experience we had with MultiEnvios with our personal shipping, you will be pleased. As far as the cost.... I try not to think about it. It is what it is!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
759 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

Conexion still has a location at Monet. Our experience is to expect 10-14 days in either direction.

Karns City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

Updating my previous message. All packages have arrived. I must say, that the packing job was excellent. Both our persaonl shipment and the shipping by the vendor were excellent. I would caution that we did not have a good experience two years ago when a vendor promised to ship for us. He never did ship our purchase even after calling hime several times from back home and having a relative in SMA stop in to speak with him. We actually had to have a friend in SMA go pick up the stuff and take it to MultiEnvios where we had to pay to have it whipped properly. If buying form the Mercado des Artesanias you may be wise to ship it yourself!

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

I shipped 2 packages through Solutions on May 19. They told me I would have a tracking number in a few days, but still have not gotten one as of June 1. I called at the end of May and they said the items were still being packed! At this point, I am just hoping that I will get my stuff eventually. Did you ever get your packages?

10. Re: Sketchy shipping issue, locals advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, June 02, 2016
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende