We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
65 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

Four of us arriving from Denver on Aeromexico nonstop at DF airport at 19:00 on Friday night. Thinking of going to hotel near bus station in taxi and catching ETN or PP to SMA Saturday morning after breakfast. Good plan? ETN or PP? What is good hotel? Do we need to be near bus station? How do I get the bus tickets?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

The Brasilia is the only hotel near (i.e. walkable to) Norte bus station that I hear consistently recommended. Otherwise you could stay at a hotel near the airport and get a cab next morning. There are actually some hotels attached to the airport but you will be landing at T2 and only the NH hotel is there and that may be quite expensive.

Here is the Brasilia's website: http://www.hotel-brasilia.com.mx/welcome.html - looks fine to me!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

When I land from the UK at about that time I always come straight to San Miguel, by taking a bus direct from the airport to Querétaro (every 40 mins) and a cab from there (just over $400P). I'm usually home by midnight.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
65 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

Thanks, that was very helpful and we are considering the bus to Queretaro. We are not making the trip until the end of Feb. I'm not sure about our ability to tell the Queretaro taxi how to get to the house we are staying in San Miguel, but we are resourceful. Do we buy tickets at the bus at the airport? Are the ATMs at the airport a good place to get pesos for bus and taxi? Is the taxi arrangement at the Queretaro bus station similar to the DF airport in that you prepay?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
65 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

Thanks. Looking at hotels near airport. What about the idea of going on to Queretaro that night and getting taxi to San Miguel?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

The bus area in Terminal 2 is to the right of the exit as you are leaving the terminal (out of customs area, go straight and then turn right and keep going - you will see the bus section on the right). You can get tickets when you get there. Yes, ATMs can be used to get pesos at the airport. Yes, in Queretaro bus station the arrangement is the same - you buy a pre-paid ticket at the booth and a taxi will take you to your address in San Miguel which you should have written down clearly including the nearest cross street. He may not get you there in one go but he can always ask someone if he gets lost - not your problem as you're not on a meter :)) I think the taxi cost is about 500 pesos for the 50 minute drive.

Montgomery, OH
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

Contact one of the services in San Miguel or the house agent. We have 6 of us traveling from QRO to our house in Centro, San Miguel. Cost for all six is $100 each way with a $10 tip. This in suv. Car would be liess.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

If it's in the budget I would just have a private driver meet you at the airport. Save all the hassles and the overnight hotel cost. It's 3 hours at that time of day. Contact Julio at sanmigueldrivers@gmail.com. The cost is somewhere around $225. Split four ways not a bad option.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
65 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

Recently returned from San Miguel and Mexico City. Here's what we did. 4 of us flew into Mexico City from Denver on Aeromexico nonstop arriving around 7:00pm. Taxi (400 pesos) from a/p to Sheraton Maria Isabel ($120 for one night including breakfast). Baijo Go suv from San Miguel picked us up from hotel next morning (500 pesos per person) and delivered us to the house in San Miguel. We engaged same company to take us back to Mexico City. This worked well. A taxi from Queretaro in the middle of the night would not have found the house. We would have had to take a taxi from the hotel to the bus station if we had taken the bus to SM the next day and there were four of us to move around. So, for less than $50 a person we got door to door service.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

In January of this year I took the bus from Mexico City direct, non-stop to SMA on Primera Plus. ETN had more departures but none of them were non-stop.

Edited: 10:27 am, March 27, 2014
Pembroke Pines...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

What is the cheapest and best way from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende, We will be travelling

in the summer and we are two elderly women.

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende