We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Forest
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

My friends and I will be staying for a week in San Miguel during the first week of May 2014. we're wondering how practical it would be to spend a week on the ocean first (Cancun?) before heading off to San Miguel.

Three of us are travelling from the UK (Southampton) and two of us are travelling from Canada (Ottawa).

Is the ocean part worthwhile? Is there somewhere nearer than Cancun?

Any advice appreciated.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

Hi, (I am from Southampton too!). Cancun will involve an internal flight (bus is 24 hours). In hindsight you might have done better flying into San Miguel (Mexico City?) and returning from Cancun with just one internal flight. There are many beaches nearer than Cancun (which is virtually the furthest!) and the closest one is probably Zihuatenejo. It is still a bus journey of several hours though.

New Forest
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

Thanks Steve. That's really helpful. Apart from accommodation in San Miguel nothing is set in stone yet hence exploring the options. Good tip about Cancun. Might decide to give that a miss!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

Research also Barra de Potosi, Ixtapa, & Troncones as well. All are in the same area as Zihua, with Troncones being technically the closet to SMA. Figure about 6-7 hours. You could break the trip up with 1 night in Patzcuaro on the way to SMA. May can be hot, though, in the low 30's.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

There is a shuttle bus that goes from Ixtapa to San Miguel every Sunday - about 6 hours.

NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

Can you provide more information or links regarding the shuttle bus between SMA and Zihua? Thanks!

toronto
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

Yes...It is with Bajiogo Shuttle service. http://www.bajiogoshuttle.com

I have their brochure in front of me. They do a round trip on a shared shuttle bus to and from your base in Ixtapa, Zih or Troncones - door to door service. . It is $119 US pp each way. They only go Sundays- they leave SMA at 5am to Zih and return from Zih at 2pm. I think it takes about 6 hours. You have to reserve in advance.

You can contact them thru their website above.

7. Re: What's the best ocean location nearest to San Miguel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende