We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San miguel de Allende

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
San miguel de Allende

Who has spent more than 2 weeks here? Is there enough to do, see, etc for a family with an 8 and 13 year old. I ask because we do house swaps and have been offered a beautiful house for a month. Only I'm not sure if it's a destination for a family with children. Especially as no beach and no pool.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San miguel de Allende

I live here and never get bored; but then I am not eight!

I assume you'd be coming in the summer hols. There are Spanish classes for children at a couple of schools, and/or they might want to take riding lessons: several places have special programmes in the summer for kids. There are plenty of pools in town, plus the hot springs a short ride away. Day trips, or even overnighters to nearby places of interest, country walks, bird watching etc. In August, the chamber music festival (OK maybe not for the kids) and other music events. The multiplex cinema often shows films in English with subtitles rather then dubbed.

If you post a link to your house swap, I'd be happy to comment -- on the location if not the property itself.

Londinense (MA Oxon) :)

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San miguel de Allende

Many thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
Level Contributor
14,501 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San miguel de Allende

It will really help if you can rent a car for a few days at least. There is a good theme park 35 minutes away near Queretaro and the kids might like climbing the mines in Mineral de Pozos.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San miguel de Allende

I think we would want a car the whole time!

I hate t feel stuck in one place and like o get out and explore!

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San miguel de Allende

Whatever you do, don't rent a car in San Miguel. There is only one place and it's expensive. You could rent one at the airport in DF and drive straight here, but if you are coming from the UK you will probably want to stop over a night or two there to sleep off the long flight. Driving at night is not recommended, unless you are a very confident driver used to huge trucks on not very well maintained highways.

Take the bus to Querétaro and rent there, or just go there and rent one for part of your trip. Public buses are plentiful and taxis inexpensive. (I have been here almost a decade and don't drive!)

BA are upping their Mexico City flights to four a week next year and Aeromexico are said to be planning a nonstop too.

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San miguel de Allende

You might also consider a day trip or overnight trip to Guanajuato, the capital of the state.

The kids may enjoy the mummy museum and the funicular (a cable car) that goes up the mountain from downtown to the Pipila monument (they can climb inside the monument).

There is also a tour of the area mines or you can visit the San Ramon mine (in Valenciana, a suburb north of the city) or the El Nopal Experimental Mine (on the Panoramica road that runs by the strip mall with the Soriana supermarket in the San Javier neighborhood).

Across the street from the Alhondiga (another interesting museum showing Guanajuato history and information about the fight for Mexican independence from Spain) is a wax musuem.

Other places that might appeal to children are Casa de las Leyendas, which has animated exhibits, Casa de Tia Aura, which reminded me of a visit to a haunted house and the Museum of the Inquisition (exhibits of torture instruments used during the Inquisition).

Another idea is to make a trip to Leon, which is around 2 hours from San Miguel. There is a good zoo as well as a place called Explora, which has interactive science exhibits and an IMAX theater.

Have a great visit!

Cindi

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San miguel de Allende

http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/

Check out the local English paper... There is a ton of stuff here... Big water park etc... the kids will love it. My grandchildren think this is a great place.

Victoria

San Miguel de...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San miguel de Allende

Take the kids to La Gruta, one of the hot springs nearby, or the new water park to have a great time. The great thing about San Miguel is the safety for kids. You'll be able to let them wander a bit together without too much worry. San Miguel is very safe. Kids find it to be a fun place and will make many friends. You can find all kinds of information at AllSanMiguel.com. I hope this helps you have a great time.

New York City
Level Contributor
287 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San miguel de Allende

Hi,

I love San Miguel but it is not the type of place that children will love - especially for that length of time. I vacationed with my children in Mexico but a beach was available! Naturally parents always claim that they want to expose their children to "culture" (and San Miguel is a highly cultural destinaton) but the fact remains is that it is also a big community for retired North Americans and is not what many people consider a great spot for vacationing with kids. Many may disagree with my on this board but I have traveled all over the world and for what it is worth, that's my opinion .

Good luck!

Edited: 1:45 pm, December 11, 2012
10. Re: San miguel de Allende

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende