We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
295 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

I've seen the most popular suggestion is to take the Primera Plus bus directly from the airport to Queretaro, and then a taxi to SMA. I checked the Primera website, and I can prepay and reserve seats on a specific bus in advance. Not knowing plane arrival accuracy or time to clear baggage hurdles, is this a good idea, or is it safe to just buy a ticket for the next bus after clearing baggage? We arrive on a Sunday midday.

Anyone have other suggestions for a "reasonably priced" private transportation provider. We will need return to the airport the following Sunday (May 13 - May 20 return). Thanks!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

No need to pre-book the bus - it's not worth the stress of rushing through immigration & customs to catch a specific departure. I've never known them anywhere near full. You can arrange a pickup at around 150 USD for two people but I can't recommend specific companies.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

On a number of occasions, I have had to wait at the airport for the next-but-one bus, but that was in peak season. The buses run every 40 minutes or so and there is no point in pre-booking. for the reasons given above. If you take a cab from the Querétaro bus station, be sure to have detailed instructions in Spanish on getting to your destination in San Miguel.

The only time I took a private vehicle was when I brought cats over from the UK. Quite frankly, the bus is way more comfortable!

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

In July we pre-purchased our tickets on the internet.

I questioned Primera Plus ... what if my flight is delayed? They assured me that the ticket would be honoured for the next bus.

Well... we were delayed over 16 hours. Upon arrival the agent said too much time has passed and I needed to buy another ticket.

This being 1:00 in the morning I protested only mildly. Upon my return to Canada I contacted Primera Plus about the situation. They expressed deep regret and issued a refund.

I found Primera Plus' customer service through their website to be excellent. Obviously the front line needs some training.

Gilbert, Arizona
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende
Level Contributor
243 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

There is a direct bus to SMA from Estacion del Norte. I believe that it is ETN?? My neighbors take it. You need to take a taxi from the airport to the bus station.

discovery bay, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

You don't have to take a taxi from Queretaro. You'll go into a big bus station there. Just hop on the next Primera Plus bus going to SMA. The one we took wasn't quite as nice as the one from Mexico City, but, still very nice. It was more of a local bus but still had TV screens in it. It was kind of commute time so it was crowded, but, it was fine. The cost was next to nothing.

We took the bus back the next week and had no problems, just give yourself enough time.

Edited: 4:10 pm, May 10, 2012
Sanibel, Florida
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

I have done the taxi to bus station del norte and did not like it at all. I have not had the opportunity to take the direct airport bus to Queretaro, but it has to be better. The traffic from the airport to bus station del norte was horrible and I had trouble with the cab driver. I have taken a cab from the QRO airport to SMA and although a little longer it was so peaceful. Just make sure the QRO cab driver is familiar with the address you are going to in SMA. One method involves 1 bus and 1 cab the other involves 2 cabs and one bus. If you have 3-4 people I'd opt to have someone like Antonia Gomez pick you up right at the MEX airport. Once you are in Antonio's hands you are already taken care of.

santa cruz...
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

Quaker Boy, I'd like to recommend a service for your transport, it is Bajiogo, http://www.bajiogoshuttle.com.

They are completely reliable, courteous, thoughtful & will work with you for your trip to/from MEX to SMA.

They offer three options. An assist with the bus to Queretaro, or a shared shuttle, or a private car.

I've used them ten or more times from BJX, and just returned this Monday from MEX, using the shared shuttle.

I'm always confident they will pick me up going from or to. The website has all the information.

Lena J

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

Go online and book a bus MEX - Queretaro leaving your lots of time to allow for delays. This way you are sure to have a seat. If you arrive in a timely manner and there is an earlier bus with available seats you will be allowed on.

One less stress!

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

This was perhaps just a fluke, but Bajiogo stood me up at the Queretaro Airport last January. The driver was not there at the appointed place at the appointed time. I waited about 15 minutes, I called Bajijogo (thank goodness for cell phones, although it cost me), and it assured me he'd be there in 5 minutes. One additional phone call and a half hour later, he did show. I don't mean to slam Baijojo, but its service from Queretaro is not as reliable as from Leon. This driver might just have been one bad example, but the service is not perfect. I trust someone from Baijogo will see this post and take extra care not to leave another person waiting so long (I'd like to say stranded, as I believe had I not made 2 calls, no one would have showed) again, or at least if something unforeseeable happens, to contact the customer by email, text or phone (the company had all this info for me).

Edited: 2:08 pm, May 12, 2012
10. Re: Transport from Mexico City Airport to SMA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende