We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone advise on noise?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can anyone advise on noise?

This is my first trip to SMA, and being someone with lots of trouble sleeping, I'm trying to choose a hotel carefully. I'm looking at the Puertecita and wondering if it's actually far enough away to be quiet. Reviews of the hotel are mixed on the subject. We're also considering a house in Ojo de Agua. Is that a better bet?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

Very, very quiet in Atascadero. Ojo de Agua has some security issues at night.

M

Vancouver, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

What kind of security issues? Is it dangerous to stay there?

And is Atascadero where the hotel is?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

The Puertacita is in Atascadero, which is certainly quieter than Centro. However, it is on the main road heading up the hill. The street is cobbly, so you will hear trucks and taxis laboring up the hill occaisionally. And, despite its expense, the hotel does get mixed reviews.

For quiet, I would recommend renting a house up 'on the hill' in the Atascadero or Balcones neighborhoods, or in some of the neighborhoods behind the Instituto. All of these neighborhoods tend to have much less traffic and fewer goings-on than in Centro and are therefore quieter. However, this is San Miguel. There is no guarantee, no matter where you stay, that you won't be suddenly roused by 'heavy ordanance' at 5:00 AM in honor of the special day of some saint or the other. When this happens, we always say that it was in honor of 'Saint Don't Sleep Too Late."

Vancouver, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

Thanks for the advice, but now I'd really like to hear about those security issues in Ojo de Agua.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

I am sorry, but I really do not have any information on security issues in Ojo de Agua. Mikemo did that post, so hopefully she will be able to give you more details.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

I would walk nearly anywhere in SMdA at any hour, but there have been a few incidents after dark in the area between valle de maiz extending into the Ojo de Agua area. You'll probably be in a cab coming "home" at night which is quite safe.

M

Berwick, ME
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

I think La Puertecita will be perfectly safe. Because the hotel is out of town a bit (probably only a 10 minute walk) the road isn't busy with foot traffic and not well lit at night. Simple common sense will be fine. I wouldn't walk it at night, although my husband did and was fine. Crime is not big in SMA and I would comfortably take a cab to the hotel at night with no problem and have done so with my kids.

emerson nj
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

I have also written about the noise problem as I, too, am a very light sleeper-- look for responses to my earlier post. I am assuming that ear plugs and sound machine will not block out the sound of firecrackers and loud church bells and I DO want to be closer to center of town so I can walk to places easily.

However, I did read that recently the mayor of SM passed noise ordinance for after 12am. Wonder if that can be enforced??!!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

I rent vacation houses in San Miguel de Allende. We have several properties in the Ojo de Agua neighborhood, a newer upscale area that's southeast of Parque Juarez. These are popular rentals, and we have never had any security issues there. It's relatively quiet, away from the traffic congestion of the inner city, but no place in San Miguel is 100% quiet since one can never escape the bells ringing, the roosters crowing, street dogs barking and the occasional firecrackers exploding at odd hours of the day and night. These noises are all part of the cultural experience of a small town in Mexico! If you are a light sleeper, you should bring ear plugs.

San Miguel House Rentals

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone advise on noise?

I am a light sleeper and always wear ear plugs, even at home! I have been in San Miguel last year for a month and in 2003 for a week. Last year I stayed in an apt. on Orizaba about half a block from the Instituto Allende. I was back from the street. I did make sure that there were no barking dogs in the area beforehand before I rented (by asking the landlord. (This is as important as bells!) I could hear bells but had a good bed and slept as well or better than I sleep at home, which surprised me. The year before I stayed for the week at Casa Calderoni, which is on a little street in the north part of Centro. I do recommend Casa Calderoni as a rather quiet location. There is no street traffic because the street is so narrow. The church bells are pretty far away. Nice owners, the rooms are lovely, 10-minute level walk to the Jardin. Good choice. The beds are also very comfortable--goosedown mattresses. I think with ear plugs and a good bed, you will sleep well if you are not on a main drag.

Even on my travels to Morelia last summer where I was a block from the cathedral that rang for god knows how long--I found I slept much better than I had feared.

Hopefully, you will have a similar experience!