We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Miguel to Merida transportation

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
169 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
San Miguel to Merida transportation

I'm in the initial planning stages of a trip to Mexico in January/February and would like to spend one week in Merida and one in San Miguel. At the moment we are looking at flying into San Miguel (BJX) and going from there to Merida. We don't want to rent a car or fly. Are there public or private bus companies that service this route? How long would it take? Many thanks!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

It's a long way overland and there are no direct buses. You would have to take a bus from San Miguel to the northern bus terminal in Mexico City (3-4 hours). There are possibly direct buses from there to Merida, otherwise you'd have to change to one of the other terminals (check the ADO and/or Ticketbus web sites for timetables). That journey will take at least 18 hours! You are better off flying and it won't necessarily be more expensive.

If you DO decide to fly, you can take a direct bus from Querétaro to MEX.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

You can do it by bus but it wouldn't be a lot of fun. I think quickest (since it avoids Mexico City) would be to get a cab to Querétaro for a 7.45 am departure to Puebla on Turistar (luxury 3-seats-in-a-row bus. 450 pesos) and then the 1pm bus from Puebla to Merida on ADO GL (luxury again - special internet rate of 1,091 pesos) which will arrive in Merida at 6.40 am the next day. That's around 25 hours of traveling - good luck!

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
169 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

Londinense & SteveMex: Thanks for this. I had checked several sources prior to posting and couldn't find any information. We had originally thought we'd stay in Merida for 2 weeks until I read about San Miguel. They both seem to be quite interesting and the kind of places we like to visit. Lots of cultural activities, historical sites, things to see and do and good dining. Can't beat that! I just checked flights and there's one that's not too expensive and travel time would be around 6 hours. Now it's decision making time and/or back to the drawing board I guess. :)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

If flying consider a bus to MEX and then an Interjet flight (www.interjet.com.mx) for 1,400 pesos. I mention this because Interjet won't appear on any booking engine but they are a well-respected airline - and cheap!

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
169 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

SteveMex: Thanks again. That's a good alternative. I think the air cost from BJX to Merida may come in around C$ 400 for 2 one way tickets. (my guesstimate including taxes & fees according to an online site). I'm unsure of the cost of transportation from San Miguel to BJX but I'm thinking the total cost may be approximately $C500.00? I'm also not sure of the cost of a bus from San Miguel to MEX. Would there be a significant difference in the total cost (and/or time) of using a bus/flight as opposed to just a flight? 2 people x 2 one way tickets (low cost interjet) is approximately $C220.00. I'm trying to weigh in on the cost and convenience factors.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

C$ 200 per ticket is very cheap so that's best. I can't find that fare - I am only seeing $US 336+ on Aeromexico. Which airline did you see?

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
169 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

Hi SteveMex. I just checked the search engine again and the fare has disappeared! Unfortunately I didn't take note of the airline. This is the second time this has happened to me, the first a fabulous rate on a trip from London to Paris a couple of years back. I read afterwards that sometimes airlines do this but the rate is only on the screen for a very short time and there are limited seats available. However it seems strange for that to happen on such a short haul trip. Your suggestion sounds like it's the one to go with.

8. Re: San Miguel to Merida transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, October 17, 2012
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende