We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bodega Bay, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

Any info on this spot? I saw it on the "Best Map of SMdA".

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

Once was more than enough for me.

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

jspence,

Fully agree. For a tourist or a newcomer one visit should suffice. I personally prefer local supermarkets and especially Superama in Queretaro, some 40 mins. from san Miguel.

PELUCH

Bodega Bay, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

Thanks to both of you. We'll avoid it at all costs.

Mañana vamos a Quanataro.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

jspence,

Queretaro you mean, right?

PELUCH

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

I beg to differ. Everyone has their own preferences, but I enjoy the Tuesday market tremendously, though I do not go every week. It is a lovely slice of non-gringo life San Miguel, since 99 percent of the people there are not gringos. Many of our guests have also gone to Tianguis and just loved it; it all depends on your attitude. Also, the market offers the freshest fish to be found in SMA, since they truck it in overnight from Veracruz, and many exotic things that you will not find elsewhere.

-Alegria

Bodega Bay, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

Thank you for your comments. Do you take a taxi there?

Looks like it is outside of town.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

It's adjacent to Gigante just beyond the first glorieta (circle/roundabout) on the road to QRO. You can take a taxi or a bus.

Sorry I'm not into garage sales and flea markets and shopping gives me panic attacks.

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

The fresh fish @ Tianguis idea was started by Archie Dean many years ago. I'm not convinced it has survived: do a comparison - got some really fresh Huachinanga Golfo at Gigante last week for less dinero, lol.

M

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

Mike:

I have a couple of questions...Why is it that that you always have to have the last, putatively definitive word on any topic? And, don't you think that a 'Local Expert' should maintain an open, inquiring mind and attitude?

Alegria

Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tianguis - "The Tuesday Market"

I, for one, totally appreciate mikemo's honest and witty responses. It's very helpful to get answers that do not sound like some canned chamber of commerce response.

Re the market, one big drawback is transportation. We saw MANY people lining the road in front of Gigante, trying to hail a taxi in vain, arms overflowing with packages. The few taxis that we did see were filled, and the buses were way overfilled. We looked all around for a taxi stop, but never found one. By that time, we were hot and tired, so gave up on trying to get transportation, and just focused on walking down the hill. Mercifully, we didn't have packages to carry.

I would not do the market again, nor would I recommend it, unless you're a huge fan of flea markets. I suppose it's worth it to see simply for the incredible expanse of stalls and the nature of the items. I've never seen so many zippers in my life. The food stalls are also worth seeing, although not very appealing.

IMO, if you're a tremendous fan of flea markets, you might enjoy shopping here. However, I don't think there's any interesting finds - just overwhelming stacks of the most basic items.

I don't think it's helpful to attack people for not having an *open and inquiring mind* just because they don't enjoy what you enjoy. I love this forum for the variety of opinions expressed here, usually free of hostility. I wish I had known mikemo's opinion of the market before we spent half a day there.