We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food to bring home from Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Food to bring home from Mexico

I know someone on the Fodor's board posted about things to bring from home when going to Mexico. I was wondering if there are any good snacks or other food items that I should make sure to try or to pack in the bag to take home from Mexico.

For example, I know that I love British chocolate so when we went to London last year I stocked my bag up with tons of chocolate bars.

Any recommendations?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

Nada, as the MX goofs have forgotton about/ignored NAFTA (their opportunity was gone in the mid 90's) and the Chinese have subsequently "eaten their lunch".

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

mherb,

Last time - a couple of months ago - I took a pack (one kilo) of coffee, some sweets (jelly), veggies marinated in oil and vinager in a glass container and a bottle of Rompope (similar to eggnog). I declared every single item and nothing happened when I cleared Customs in Houston, TX. I would avoid, nevertheless, meats and milk derived products.

PELUCH

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

Ooops. I thought you were asking about things to take with you from Mexico. Ignore my previous post. Mikemo is right. NADA!!!

PELUCH

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

mherb,

After rereading your message, I believe my first post was right after all.

PELUCH

PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

You are right PELUCH. I am looking for goodies to bring home from Mexico. Do you find it is best to claim even little snacks?

Thanks!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

mherb,

Yes, I believe you should declare everything you are bringing with you because if they by any chance decide to check, it would be obvious that you were not trying to hide anything and the worst it could happen is that the item(s) are confiscated and nothing else. Mexicans, for instance, bring tamales to the U. S. and those are not confiscated probably because the meat has already been cooked. The reason why they are not tolerant with meat and milk products (add flowers, seeds, plants and fruits) is because of bacterias (living organisms) which, of course, could cause more serious health problems in a more effective manner.

PELUCH

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

Otra vez,

Nada.

M

canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Food to bring home from Mexico

We were in mexico lst march, and brought back coffee(marino brand) and alot of hot chocolate(abulitea)both are sold at the grocery store. These are mexican brands, and very good. We also brought back vanilla beans, and some mexican booze at the airport. We had no trouble bring them back though canadian customs, we were not asked at the airport what we had in out suitcases.Oh we also bought back lamp and large hand blowen glass vase, with no questions.