We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car from Leon

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Niles, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental Car from Leon

We're arriving around 7:45p.m. in Leon and renting a car to drive to SMA. Is it tricky to get out of Leon and difficult to find SMA?

I assume the rental car agency can give us directions but do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car from Leon

Leeword,

There is a large number of posts about the subject that will provide you with accurate info. Nevertheless, many of us prefer not to drive at night time in particular because roads are not well lit and there could be animals (cows, donkeys, dogs, etc.) on the road and those two factors alone could make your driving an "unforgetable" experience. Since you are renting a car, it would be more sensible to stay overnight in Leon and then depart to San Miguel early next day. Roads are in very good condition with plenty of signs and it would take you abt. 1.5 hrs. from Leon to SM.

PELUCH

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car from Leon

I assume you are renting at BJX, not Leon.

In any event, Pedro is correct: I have a WRX, all wheel drive turbo wagon, know the roads and I would be reluctant to drive at night ESE of Gto. to SMdA despite lots (40 years) of high performance driving and race track experience.

M

Niles, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car from Leon

Yes, we are renting the car at BJX. Your advice sounds wise re the night driving. Any suggestions for a handy place to stay in Leon?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car from Leon

Leeword,

There are several Holiday Inns in town. They are well located, well maintained and their rates are reasonable.

PELUCH

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car from Leon

Avoid Leon, unless you have business there: stay in "historic" Guanajuato - many recent recs there on the forum. Also closer and less expensive.

M

Niles, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car from Leon

One more question: How long a drive from Leon to Guanajuato? If I want to avoid driving at night and am picking up the car after arrival in Leon (7:44 p.m.), can I get to Guanajuato in a reasonable amount of time? Thanks again for all the info.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car from Leon

Leeword,

I guess I really need to know why you want a rental car?

A car in both Gto. and SMdA is a real liability - "historic" Gto. will be impossible to navigate at night (I tried once - never again).

Otra vez, I would recommend the commercial shuttle SUVs/Vans.

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car from Leon

BJX to GTO is maybe 20 min/$19.pesos via cuota if you know the way - "ain't" easy by any means finding your hotel once you arrive in GTO.

I really don't want to discourage a visit to GTO, but I would not drive there "newby/naked". It is a wonderful city.

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car from Leon

Leeword,

Guanajuato is about 59 kilometers - some 35 miles - from Leon yet, I wonder, if you are arriving at 7:45 p.m. and to this you have to add the time to spend clearing Customs and arranging all the paper work for the car you plan to rent, you would probably be leaving for Guanajuato after 9:00 p.m. - if you are lucky - and if we would consider what we have already said about driving at night time in Mexico then it appears to be more convenient to stay in Leon that night. You can always pay a day visit to Guanajuato later considering that it is not far from San Miguel. There are various nice hotels in Leon and the prices are reasonable. With regard to the car itself, I tend to agree with Mike. It could be cheaper, safer and more convenient to use buses and taxis but it will always depend, among other things, on your travel plans.

PELUCH

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car from Leon

BJX is a bit closer to Gto. in the direction of SMdA than to Leon in the opposite direction, hence about 20 min on the unlimited speed cuota to Gto.

M

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende