We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast to MEX or BJX--comparisons help please

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
West Coast to MEX or BJX--comparisons help please

We're arriving to SMdA 3/23 - 4/2 (staying at Casa de la Cuesta) from San Francisco. Flight schedules to BJX aren't that great, 1 stops-- either American lv SF 10:30a arriving BJX 7:45p with only a 7am departure (can't imagine making a flight at that time in morning) or Continental leave SF approx same time with 10:50A or 2:30P departure from BJX. Flight time is approx 7hr 15 min. I understand car/van transport from airport is about 1.5 hrs for a total trip of almost 9 hrs. I'm trying to compare that with a NS flight to MEX of 4 hrs with transport to SMdA of about 3.5 hrs for a total of 7.5 hrs.

At this point I'm trying to figure out what is easiest, shortest and most comfortable trip. Then I'll deal with $$$ Am I doing the right comparisons? Flight to QRO instead of MEX is only about $100 more. Any and all help appreciated -- Thanks

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: West Coast to MEX or BJX--comparisons help please

Oops, the $1102. fare was for the more desireable times we are flying.

The less user friendly fares are still $560.07.

CON has $552.10 RT fares for decent times. Big negative there is clearing customs at IAH in the late afternoon when it seems all the international flights arrive simutaneously and overwhelm baggage, customs and immigration.

M

San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: West Coast to MEX or BJX--comparisons help please

M,

You said "CON has $552.10 RT fares for decent times" Hmmm-- your decent times and our decent times probably vary :-). We decided to go with shortest flights mainly so we're taking the 10:50a and the 3:20p return, paying extra on the return for the shorter flight that gets in two hours earlier, big sigh of relief the decision is made, tickets booked before another increase. You said: "Big negative there is clearing customs at IAH in the late afternoon when it seems all the international flights arrive simutaneously and overwhelm baggage, customs and immigration" Now you tell us :-). I'm sure we'll have a great time and experience. It's my SO's first trip to Mexico (I traveled to Quintana Roo before the first hurricane and the "Mexican Riviera" and have taken several trips to La Paz, Baja--a different Mexican experience and have also visited Cooper Canyon) so it's a bit more upscale than if I were traveling alone.

We decided to take the easy road and will have Casa de la Cuesta send their drive to pick us up.

Thanks again for all help. We're really looking forward to our trip and have started our hill-climbing training!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: West Coast to MEX or BJX--comparisons help please

Buen viaje.

M