We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New York

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from New York

Hi, I'm posting my question here rather than Gto board as your board's a lot busier and you've got Mikemo who is a treasure. Has anyone driven down to San Miguel (or in my case Gto) from northeast? If so, where did you cross border? And then I gather it's about 500 or so miles to Gto. What would be the best driving route in Mexico and where would you stay the night if you crossed border early in morning, say 5 or 6 a.m.? Thanks for any info. Great adventure lies ahead!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from New York

Sure, you can buy it on line or at nearly all of the US border X'ings.

I just did a google for mexican auto insurance and got many quotes for "all Mexico" liability ins for 7 days for $45. - $54.US. I pay $426. for "full coverage" for 12 months.

Liability only would be about $185./year, so they really stick you for short term coverage.

13 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from New York

Thank you very much for all your help! The information you gave me will help me a great deal on my travels! I look forward to getting down to Mexico and feeling that tropical air blowing through my hair!