We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood question: Santo Domingo, Cinco de Mayo...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
of many places
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood question: Santo Domingo, Cinco de Mayo...

Hello, I am considering renting for a few weeks in December and am looking at homes in the following neighborhoods: Santo Domingo, Cinco de Mayo (near Aldama), Guadiana, Recreo. Could someone please describe each to me? Of interest are the usual: distance to Jardin, character (charm or lack thereof), level of noise, safety, and construction activity. Thank you!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood question: Santo Domingo, Cinco de Mayo...

Tranquila,

All are good areas, 'tho the further W from Aldama you go on 5 de Mayo, you get into Col. Allende which is not as nice. It is SSW of Parque Juarez and barrio Ojo de Agua and S of Col. Guadiana which has some great areas. These areas are well located for the Instituto on Ancha San Antonio, but are (especially the former) a bit removed from "the Centro".

Recreo is very nice, especially on the S end close to Parque Juarez (Recreo, Sollano and Aldama are high end from a real estate cost perspective). The Plaza de Toros is on its mid part so late afternoon winter w/e bull fights make it busy.

Cjon. Sto. Domingo is the uphill extension of Correo to the E of Sal a Queretaro where I now live. It is the most strenous (uphill) walk, but I do it nearly every day and taxis are ubiquitous.

There may be some good views there.

All have character, but the individual properties, I think, would be the determining factor assuming distance and elevation are not significant. All areas are safe, but there were some home invasions early in the year in Atascadero (E of Sto. Domingo) and I would not walk alone at night

on 5 de Mayo. Other than the bull fights, noise levels should be low and similar with the exception of construction which varies on each sub block.

All else being equal, if the Recreo property is close to Parque Juarez - 3+ longish blocks from el Jardin - I would probably choose it.

M

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende