We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

Considering staying at this guest house for 2 weeks in March 2006. The cost is $35 per night. Does any one know if it's a nice, clean and pleasent place to stay. Almost sounds too good to be true for the price. Or, any other suggestions of nice but comparable prices?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

I just left the property. The location is great - a fairly flat short 1/2 block W and longer 1 1/2 blocks S of El Jardin. I have always liked Calle Jesus.

Unfortunately, the housekeeper was leaving for an appointment and no one was around to show me the rooms.

If I get back there, I'll get some more info for you. There is not much in that price range.

M

Mentioned in this post
El Jardin
El Jardin
871 Reviews
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
St. Albert, Alberta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

Did you check out casamaricela during your most recent stay?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

Yes, we did get to visit and tour the house. I'm not sure if it's the best place for 2 couples, but I'll give my impressions, and then, of course, your choice. We visited on 2 separate days, one to tour the house and the other to take a cooking class.

The place is charming and clean and modern on the inside. There are 3 levels, a kitchen, dining room, lr, powder room, and den with computer on the 1st level, bedrooms on the 2nd level, and 2 bedrooms plus a rooftop patio and laundry on the 3rd level. By far our favorite was the 3rd level, but she has a permanent renter in one of those rooms. Sometimes he leaves for a few months and then that is also available. Each bedroom is small, but each has a window, a tv (some/most? with DVD players), a chair, closet and private bath. None of the rooms are large, but the house is charming. The location couldn't be better, on a quiet lovely street, but a flat walk to the jardin, and an easy walk to the instituto.

Most of the people staying there at the time seemed to be singles of varying ages, but Maricela says that she rents to couples as well. I think 2 to a room is $55/day, but I'm not sure.

Maricela Campos is charming, warm, nurturing, and down to earth. We felt that we really got to know her during the 2 hour cooking class. She does speak and understand some English, but communicates primarily in Spanish. You can email her in english (probably like my spanish, it's easier to write than to speak).

Our cooking class was the comida for that day and it was incredible. One of her house guests that week was in our cooking class. When I commented to him that they were going to eat very well that day, he said that they ate like that every day (btw, he spoke no spanish). I can't imagine being able to live at home and eat like that for just $35/day/person (single rate). Know that her meals are at fixed times - I think 8 am for breakfast and 2pm for the comida.

On the spot, I booked 2 rooms for my friend and I to stay for 2 weeks next year. I think it might be a bit cozy for couples, especially 2 couples. The bedrooms are small, and there is not a large *public* space where you can hang out. Bear in mind that you share the house with Maricela and other guests. It is her home. If you plan to be out of the house more than in the house, and if you're ok with cozy, and with sharing a not very large house with others, than go for it. It's an amazing value, top notch location, lovely home, amazing food made fresh, and we were totally charmed by Maricela.

Happy to answer any other specific questions, if I can.

St. Albert, Alberta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

Thanks azdi a great writeup. May have more questions later,

but in meantime we were thinking of staying 10 days; would usually only be at the house for breakfast ... in other words gone all day so perhaps would not be tripping over others that are staying. Sounds like 3rd floor would be best with access

to roof top patio -- is that a common area too?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

The rooftop area appears to be a common area. It's also where the laundry is located, but that is totally separated from the sitting area.

For the brief time that we were there, I saw guests coming and going, but I didn't see anyone else hanging out on the first floor. I guess any sense of coziness (or over-coziness) would depend on the nature of the guests and your own expectations. I expect that even when all guests are present at once, there is ample room in the dining room, living room, and den to accommodate all, in addition to the rooftop patio. And you're very close to neighborhood restaurants and bars, so it's easy to get away.

Laguna Hills...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

Are there any rooms with 2 beds for 2 traveling friends? I assume meals are prepared by them and we can't cook, yes?

Laguna Hills...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

Actually, I was looking for info on Casa de Huespedes, Sra. Campo's place. We 4 women are looking for modest priced 4 beds, maybe 2 rooms, preferably with a kitchen so we can cook. We're not looking for fancy, but clean and cheap. Oct. 25 through Nov. 3.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

I'm not clear what you mean by "Actually, I was looking for info on Casa de Huespedes, Sra. Campo's place." This discussion thread has all been about Sra. Campos' place. You can email her directly for info, but when I was there, all the rooms that we saw had one bed and private bath, although 2 guests can stay together in a room. We did not see all the rooms, however. Maricela cooks both breakfast and the mid-day comida. I don't know what her *rules* are for guests using the kitchen at other times. BTW, it's a beautiful kitchen, very well stocked, and she gives great cooking lessons. Her contact info is on www.sanmiguelguide.com.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

azdi,

Lo siento, I referred the person here after a misguided (Lonely Planet) rec for a property of the same name on Mesones.

M

Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guest House of Sra. Campos on calle Jesus 41-B

Yep, I know which one you mean. On my recent visit, before I got the chance to check out Maricela's, I was very confused when I first walked by the one on Mesones. I can understand why the name would be a common one, the name of the proprietor being the primary distinction.

BTW, I got a nice photo of what I think might be your driveway. Are you on the east side of Salida de Querretaro? It was a really neat boveda style driveway. I can post it, but I suspect that you've taken a ton of them yourself by now. Way cool.

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende