We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing a dog to San Miguel, Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston
1 post
Save Topic
Bringing a dog to San Miguel, Mexico

We've rented a house in San Miguel for a month and want to bring our dog. I've heard horror stories about flying them in so we'd like to fly to Houston from Boston and then drive to SMA from Houston. Has anyone flown a dog to the Leon airport from the US? Has anyone driven into Mexico with a dog?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing a dog to San Miguel, Mexico

Hola andgarg,

I think you'll have problems flying a larger dog in cargo this time of year cuz of the weather, but each A/L makes its own rules.

I drove DFW - SMdA 22 - 25 April with a 40 lb dog. Stopped in Austin and Laredo which had animal friendly overnights.

Virtually all Mexican hotels exclude animals (most adamently), but the dog stayed in the car overnight in Matahuela (covered parking) without problems.

Your vet will provide the necessary international paperwork. No one ever checked as got "green lights" at each check point.

Like a car, a US trained dog can be a liability here, but you're probably used to the inconvenience of a dog in a city (a couple had their adopted greyhound flown from North Carolina via Leon/GTO earlier this year for a three month visit).

M

houston, tx
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing a dog to San Miguel, Mexico

That's a LONG drive from Houston to SMA. It's a good 5 hrs, maybe a bit longer, from Houston to the border. I'm also not sure the requirements for brining an animal into the country or returning across the border from Mexico into the states. Be sure to bring all of your paperwork from vets about rabies vaccinations and all that.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing a dog to San Miguel, Mexico

The requirements for dogs and cats are simple and nearly all US vets have the forms.

M

L D
United States
Level Contributor
1 post
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing a dog to San Miguel, Mexico

I am traveling to SMA in August with a small dog. Has anyone here found a nice rental or hotel that accepts dogs? Many Thanks, Liz