We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolores or Quertero

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
994 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Dolores or Quertero

I have one day to do a day trip with in SMA before I go to GTO for 3 nights.

I was originally going to do la gruta, the church and then dolores. Someone recently told me to skip those and do Quertero.

Any thoughts on this?

3 replies to this topic
BC
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolores or Quertero

They are very different places. I did a day trip to Dolores Hidalgo and loved it. There was just enough to see and do to make for a very pleasant day. The locals were very friendly, we had some nice interactions and had a great meal. And then some great ice cream! The zocalo is very beautiful. The bus station is central and you can walk everywhere.

I stayed in Queretaro for too many nights, which meant I ended up not liking the place as not much to do there for the number of days I stayed. But the centre has been beautifully restored and it is really nice to walk around. It is a very bustling, busy city with a lot of car pollution. You have to take a taxi from the bus station to the centre.

There are a couple of things you can see, look them up to see what might interest you, but very thin. Had one great meal there and one that was inedible, first time we never ate anything served to us in Mexico. That was a place I picked out by sight, without researching first. We had more negative interactions here than ever experienced in Mexico in years of visits.

So really depends if you want to visit a very big, prosperous historic city or a small historic town.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
994 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolores or Quertero

thanks that makes it more clear. I want to see something smaller.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
107 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolores or Quertero

Just up the street from the Grito church is a house (now museum) of the guy who sang "La vida no vale nada" It is worth checking out. The Dolores church where Hidalgo gave the Grito speech is awesome! Inside on either side of the altar are giant retablos?? one of wood and the other? Just beautiful. Queretero is great. Maximillian was shot there and there is a giant statue of Benito Juarez. Lots of things to see. Big city and the walking only area is very cool.

Reply to: Dolores or Quertero
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende