We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning MExico Trip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
490 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning MExico Trip

Hi there,

I am planning a trip to Mexico for 9 nights in December. We are coming from the east coast.

Thinking of going to Puerto Vallarta first for 4 nights. Doing a day trip to Marieta islands.

Then flying to guanjuanto for 2 nights (or San Miguel), and then going back to Mexico City for 3 nights.

Is this too much to cover in 9 nights. I definitely want to see Mexico City. I would like to do guanjuanto or San Miguel or both. Other option being Puebla which makes it easier being closer to Mexico City but Puebla is not looking as pretty as guanjuanto/ SM.

Is there a beach closer to MC / SM we should consider rather than PV? I have seen tulum / playa.

I am worried if this trip will be too much traveling and flying around. Can someone pls advise if this is ok or we should narrow it down more?

And if there is a beach closer to MC u would consider?

Thank you

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
862 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning MExico Trip

Sounds like too much time traveling to me. There are closer beaches to MC than Puerto Vallarta. Friends like Zihuatanejo on the west coast south of PV. Avoid Acapulco which is about the same distance, many reports of crime. Have no info on the Caribbean beaches that are closer to MC than PV. Tulum is even further away at the eastern tip of the Yucatan. If you fly into MEX you can then get a shuttle or luxury bus to SMA or GTO after your stay. I would go to SMA and take a one day guided tour of GTO. GTO is much larger, greater elevation changes and not as easy to navigate. You will have a much better experience with a knowledgeable guide in GTO. SMA is easier to explore and has lots of options for exploring like the walking tour M-W-F, 2.5 hours for $20.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
995 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning MExico Trip

to me this is way too much~

We love PV and spend about two weeks at a time there. granted you can do it in less depending what your interests are.

We are doing SMA- 4 nights GTO 3 nights, Merida 5 nights and PV 16 nights for our November/December trip. Event that I was thinking I was packing in too much.

I think you need to take one place off your list and re distribute your days.

Gilbert, Arizona
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende
Level Contributor
276 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning MExico Trip

Personal opinion is that you are cramming too much into your time. A lot of your time will be spent traveling and that will not be relaxing to enjoy yourself.

As suggested above maybe eliminate one of your stops.

Edited: 1:55 pm, July 11, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help planning MExico Trip

I would recommend Puerto Vallarta for another trip. Visit Mexico City, San Miguel and Guanajuato City. That would be a nice trip.

5. Re: Help planning MExico Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 16, 2018
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende