We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Texas to Tampico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tampico hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Topic
Driving From Texas to Tampico

I have had a problem trying to find the right place to post this question, so forgive me if it isn't exactly in the right spot. I have read the general postings on Driving in Mexico, but I need some more specific information from others who have driven around Mexico.

I am going to be driving from the United States to Central America in a couple months and I want a route that is interesting, fun and educational if possible. We will be entering Mexico from Brownsville and driving to Guatemala.

1. Is there a computer map planing program for Mexico? I'm not having any luck with Google, but it might be my error.

2. My GPS built into my vehicle doesnt have Mexico. Has anyone found a good GPS device for traveling in Mexico?

3. Any suggestions on "must see" things in the country?

Appreciate your help.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,910 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Texas to Tampico

I would buy a good road map of Mexico. I would not depend on a GPS other than when in a city. In general I would not use a GPS device in Mexico.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,910 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Texas to Tampico

My edit time expired.

I have encountered incorrect map data for places with which I am familiar in Mexico, so even if my GPS had Mexico maps I wouldn't use it. Stick to major highways. Don't stray without directions. Drive in the daytime.

As you head south, you will be driving inland until Tampico where you can drive down the coast to Veracruz. Veracruz as a modern city is almost 500 years old, and it pre-hispanic version many centuries older.

At some point you will need to cross to the Pacific coast to enter Guatemala. I have never driven in the south of Mexico.

Edited: 5:31 pm, February 21, 2010
Fontana
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving From Texas to Tampico

Just go to Google and enter 2006 TONY BURTON MAPS and click search.

I am driving to Guatemala (same route) around las week of March 2010

www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/spanicleader/

Good luck

4. Re: Driving From Texas to Tampico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tampico