We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden Route in 2-3 days - opinion needed

Toronto,
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Garden Route in 2-3 days - opinion needed

Hi all,

Planning a trip here for me and my friend in mid-late 20s. Spending 5 nights in Cape Town - cape of good hope, vineyards and all, and then driving towards Port Elizabeth, and flying out from PE to JNB. I've been to Cape Town, pretty much know where we want to go, and want to spend more time there. However. wanted to get your opinions about the rest of the trip from CPT to Port Elizabeth... Gardern Route and all.

Day 6:

Early morning - depart Cape Town and head to Hermanus.

From Hermanus then head straight to Oudtshoorn. ***

If there is time for the remainder of the day, check out ostriches OR cango caves.

Overnight in Oudtshoon - simple hotel (e.g. Protea).

Day 7:

In morning, check out ostriches or cango caves (whatever was not done end of day 6).

Drive south towards George, Kynsna.

Have late lunch at Kynsna/Plettenberg Bay.

Check out Monkeyland if there is time.

Overnight in Plettenberg Bay OR Storms River (Tsitsikamma).*

Day 8:

Visit / check out Tsitsikamma. Do various activities**

Afternoon: Leave area by 2:45PM, drive to Port Elizabeth (2.5hrs) and take evening 6:50PM flight back to Johannesburg.

*1) Opinion needed: Is it better to stay in Plettenberg Bay in a 3-star B&B OR is it better to stay at Storms River (Tsitsikamma) in a B&B for the same price.

**2) What is there to do in Tsitsikamma that's good and have good scenery? Anyone with experience in the "must do's" and also the trails? Note: I do not want to bungee jump off a bridge or do the canopy - done that already.

***3) Is it worth it to go to Cape Agulhas as a detour between Hermanus and Oudtshoorn at all? Or not worth it.

any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Cheers

South Africa
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden Route in 2-3 days - opinion needed

Hi there.

I am from Cape Town and have spent the last 14 years on the Garden Route. I always recommend the R62 route from Cape Town. Is there any reason for Hermanus?.. If it is for Whale Watching, I would recommend you do that in Plett with Ocean Safaris. Our bay is tunning and the wildlife abundant througout the year. www.oceansafaris.co.za.

Cape Agulus is a huge detour and will take a great amount of time. I recommend Oudtshorn but only for the caves, you can see ostriches everywhere.

Robberg is a great nature walk in Plett and there are many lovely white beaches to roam on. Accomodation at the Plett Beachfront is greatand well worth the price. :-) google Plett Beachfront Accomodation. Also a couple new restuarants opened on Central Beach in Plett.

Happy planning,

Regards

Pamela

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden Route in 2-3 days - opinion needed

Hi Eddie

Staying in Tsitsikamma (Storms River Village) is a much better option. Dont rush Cape Agulhus.

Edited: 6:00 am, October 16, 2012
Cape Town
Level Contributor
113 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden Route in 2-3 days - opinion needed

Hi There

I agree that staying in Tsitsikamma is a much better option if you like beautiful forests and activities such as hiking and zip-lining. It is a really peaceful place. For details on hikes in the area, ask for a map of the day-hikes possible when you drive through the gate of the Tsitsikamma National Park.

2. If you want to do more ocean-based activities like dolphin-watching, fishing or swimming, then staying in Plettenberg is better option. They have a bigger choice of restaurants too. At the Crags, near Plettenberg Bay, next to the Monkey Park, they have one of the World's Most Impressive Bird Aviaries. This is a MUST SEE! The Crags is not more than an hour by car from Storms River Village/ Tsitsikamma.

3. If you are not going to stay overnight in the Agulhas area, then leave it out. Cape Agulhas is like a perfume. It has to be inhaled. If you rush it will not appreciate the secrets in the area, or the fascination of the place.

Take 2 Tours

4. Re: Garden Route in 2-3 days - opinion needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 15, 2013