We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

approx distances and time..

hants, uk
Level Contributor
387 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
approx distances and time..

Hiya, Im just putting the final touches to a mad itinerary, but would like a little advice on distances between places and Approximate travelling times...

Once i have a rough idea of these, i can allow a few extra hours for stops, and scenic pictures, and lunch etc....

the trips i am planning are

1. from Cape Town (constantia area) to Oudtshoorn

2.from Oudtshoorn to Knysna (via George, and N2)

3. from Knysna to Schotia safaris

4. from schotia to Plett

5. from Plett to cape town

any advice, stop-over points, detours off the main route, or Anything relevan would be Much appreciated!

Also....a rough idea of how much budget to set aside for Petrol??...i have read that credit card cannot be used to purchase fuel, so i am also trying to figure out how much money i should take......

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: approx distances and time..

Constantia to Oudtshoorn is 4.5 to 5.5 hours, depending on how long you take over lunch. I would strongly recommend you route either Stellenbosch, Franschoek, Villersdorp, Robertson, or N1 to Worcester, Robertson then pick up R62 via Montagu to Oudtshoorn. It's a beautiful drive through wine & fruit growing areas & avoids the traffic & roadworks on the N2.

Montagu will make a good lunch stop, there is a choice of restaurants. Our favourite is on the right just before you leave Montagu. There's also the 4 Oaks for a more up market meal. Calitzdorp is worth a stop to sample some of their fine ports.

Oudtshoorn to Knysna is a comfortable 2 hours at the most. Can't help with 3 & 4 but Plett to CT will be a good 7 hours.

We were paying ZAR 7.5 per litre last week, approx £0.60. Therefore it will cost about £30 for a tank full & allow a tank each way.

As we also live in Hants pm me if you would like any more detailed advice. I might be able to lend you maps etc.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: approx distances and time..

Knysna to Schotia just over 3 hours non-stop but lots of places to stop - Natures Valley, Tsitsikamma, Storms River, even Jeffrey's Bay if you are surfers. Schotia to Plett on return is 20 mins less.

No need to bring cash with you. Even though filling stations don't accept credit cards, due to SA regulations that you can't buy "energy" on credit, there are ATMs to withdraw cash using your standard debit card everywhere in the country. Including most filling stations on main routes.

3. Re: approx distances and time..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 18, 2010