We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

London England
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

We want to drive the Garden Route avoiding any high mountainous passes is this possible?

Thanks

Barval

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

Definitely don't need an International Driving Permit coming from the US. Requirements are a "Licence in English incorporating a picture of the driver".

Driving it in one go is possible but then it is just driving and you will be pretty tired by the time you get to Cape Town. There are many places to see and spend time visiting along the route. So at least one overnight - two days. This would then give you five days in Cape Town/Winelands which is about the minimum.

Don't drive the route all the way on the N2- see above posts. You probably don't want to avoid mountain passes ;-) You have variations but I still strongly recommend driving the Garden Route to George and the the Outeniqua Pass to Oudtshoorn. An excellent overnight stop here is the Yot Club. In the town centre close to the main restaurants but in a lovely situation facing the sunset on the river bank. Des and Liz will make you most welcome - we stayed there again a couple of weeks ago as an overnight between Cape Town and Addo National Park :

http://www.gardenroute-yotclub.com/

Then drive the R62/R60 to Cape Town - also known as the World's Longest Wine Route.

Concerning accommodation it obviously all depends on your budget. If PE is just an overnight stop after getting off the plane there are a whole series of good standard hotels along the Beach Road in the Sumerstrand area. I always have stayed in either The Beach Hotel or The City Lodge but others are fine.

Cape Town needs more information. There are literally thousands of places to stay from lovely small friendly B&Bs, through luxurious guesthouses, boutique hotels, standard international chain hotels, up to some of the most luxurious (and expensive) hotels which regularly make World's Best Hotels lists. Let us know the type of place you want to stay and the general budget and you will get loads of ideas.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

Ooops, Van_de_Caab,

concerning the driving license, I was told by my travel agent (and this was also stated by all German tour operators to South Africa) that an international driving license is required. However, I had read many times on German travel forums that this is not enforced as long as you have a new EU driving license. I guess the reason for the "stated requirement" of an international driving is that the old "German" license were in German, only.

Good to know..never meant to make a trip any more fuzzy.

Selwyn Davidowitz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

DaybreakInParadise

Your request for information is nice and organized which makes it easy to answer,

1. How many km is the trip (approximately).

Bank on 850 km, that is if you are driving directly from PE to Cape Town on the N2 and not making any deviations to places like Oudtshoorn.

If you go to www.ILoveCapeTown.com/GRCT.htm you will find a map showing you a detailed routing that you should take that I have set up for you to see.

2. Do I need to plan an overnight on the way?

850 km is quite a distance to drive and a one or even two night stayover is highly recommended even though some folk drive the whole distance in one day

If you intend staying somewhere overnight consider staying in Knysna, The Wilderness or Mossel Bay. Swellendam is also a possibility however I would not recommend this as it could be quite hot in the town over December and I have found that it is more comfortable to break the 850 Km journey closer to Knysna or Mossel Bay

3. Reasonable accommodations in PE and Cape Town.

As Dudel and VdC have correctly pointed out price, style and your budget are key factors to consider when answering you hence the below response will be rather generalised

I do the drive that you are doing as a tourguide/operator about 6-12 times per year and while in Port Elizabeth one of the best value for money places I have found to stay at is Lemon Tree Lane. http://www.lemontreelane.co.za/ This is fantastic venue with delightful hosts (Dee and Ray Kemp) who will help you with all you need to know regarding PE. The rooms are very well appointed, spacious and air-conditioned which could make a huge difference in November/December. Dee is a green fingered person and the rooms and surrounding gardens are absolutely wonderful to visualize and enjoy. Breakfast is served in a communal dining area and is of a high standard. I would recommend Lemon Tree very highly.

In case you are looking for somewhere to dine in P.E . may I suggest that you look at visiting Whickerwoods restaurant. dining-out.co.za/member_details-MemberID-241… Excellent food in a restaurant that has been going for many years and is uner the very watchful eye of the owner Joel. Please note that the restaurant has a new address and telephone number which is 99 Cape Rd, Mt Croix, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape 6001, South Africa‎ - 041 374 8170‎

Another interesting and up and coming PE restaurant to consider is Lavenders which is at 12 Clevedon Rd, Mont Croix. Tel: 0413734414. Good home cooking presented by a wonderfully friendly and helpful husband and wife team

In case you are looking for accommodations along the way to Cape Town I would suggest the following:

Knysna

----------

Overmeer Guest House http://www.overmeergh.co.za/ Well priced guesthouse where the Fechter family are fantastic hosts. The views of the estuary from most rooms in the guesthouse are amongst the best in Knysna.

Mossel Bay

----------------

Believe it or not I would suggest that you drive past this town and head for a village called Boogomsbaai just outside of the town. In Boggomsbaai you will find the wonderful hidden secret type accommodation of fishermans cottages hired out by Sandpiper cottages. http://www.sandpiper.co.za/ These cottages are fantastic little houses right on the sea and are very well priced in terms of value for money. Please note these cottages are self catering accommodations and BoggomsBaai as a village has a rule of no businesses in town. Thus if you stay in one of these cottages you should stop at a supermarket in Mossel Bay on your way to Booggomsbaai and stock up with food for the night.

When it comes to Cape Town accommodations I would suggest any of the following establishments to you

Davids

http://www.davids.co.za/

Wonderful venue with fantastic hosts. Close to city as well as the Green Point strip where there are many restaurants. Well appointed and has to be amongst the best value in Cape Town. Highly recommended.

Cape Standard.

http://www.capestandard.co.za/home.htm

Well located. Lovely guesthouse with super friendly host. Great value for money and certainly not expensive. Rooms are done up in a rustic manner with all conveniences available. Great breakfast area.

Cape Codogan.

http://www.capecadogan.com/

Fabulous venue with wonderfully spacious and beautifully decorated rooms. Close to city and well located relative to some fabulous restaurants that are all within walking distance. Slightly more expensive than the average guesthouse but certainly worth the money.

An African Villa.

http://capetowncity.co.za/villa/

Fantastic place to stay that is relatively close to city centre. Guesthouse is superbly run by wonderful hosts who offer great value for money, is beautifully decorated. Close to many restaurants by foot. Internet facilities available. Simply a wonderful place to stay.

Camps Bay Terrace..

http://www.campsbayterrace.com/

The website to this venue says it all. This is what I believe is one of the finest place to stay in Camps Bay. The establishment is meticulously run. I would suggest that one should stay in the penthouse if you are 4 people and in the suite if you are two people. The views at this guesthouse are amazing to say the least. One is a walk away from the beach and close to many of the local restaurants in Camps Bay. Please note that this is a self catering venue but one is very close to many coffee shops as well as a supermarket where you can buy anything you need for eating purposes that can be made in the wonderful kitchens in the penthouse or the suite. VERY, VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

De Waterkant Cottages.

dewaterkantcottages.com/accommodation/cottag…

These are fantastic self catering cottages at excellent rates. Very quaint, fabulously furnished with huge, huge, huge amounts of space. The cottages are also extremely well maintained. The cottages are right in the middle of where it is all happening near the city centre (10 minute walk away) as well the Waterfront. (20 minute walk away; 5 minute cab ride away). The cottages are also close to a brand new shopping mall called the Cape Quarter which has great coffee houses and places to dine. There is also a wonderful deli called Andiamo close by as well as other interesting restaurants. Bearing in mind that the cottages are hired out on a self catering basis information re these eateries will be of importance to you especially for breakfast.

I have had many people stay in these cottages in the past and everybody, without fail, have loved them to bits. Even in season these cottages represent great value for money

4. Requirements for renting a car in PE (I am from outside the country)

Any information would be helpful! Thanks!

You should present the car hire company with an ID (passport will do) and an international drivers license. With that said I have never seen any car hire company reject a persons local license from their country of origin as acceptable in this regard. You will also need a credit card (no credit card no deal) and hopefully you are over 25 because less than 25 year olds are generally given a hard time when trying to hire vehicles from certain companies. Furthermore if you are under 25 your insurances will most definitely also be affected in terms of availability and cost.

Hope the above helps and that you have a wonderful time on the Garden Route as well as in our wonderful city of Cape Town.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Very proudly part of the wonderful rainbow nation of South Africa

London England
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

Thanks again Selwyn

15. Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 22, 2010