We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

A friend and I hired Nick from ReefView to take us on a fly fishing trip in Antigua. I was very impressed with how quickly Nick responded to my initial email inquiring about fishing in Antigua. There is not a lot of information on fly fishing there and Nick was a great help. We met Nick for a day of fishing. We started out for the elusive permit on the flats right near the ReefView apartments. We saw quite a few permit, but could not get any to take interest in our flies. After a few hours of fishing the flats, we got back in his truck and went to another nearby spot for tarpon. Nick had us in a two man hobie kayak fishing for tarpon. The tarpon were rolling everywhere around us. It did not take long for us to have our first fish on, but those fish can throw a fly back at you pretty easily. We would have one on, it would jump and throw the fly. Then we would have another on and it would bust our line. The longest I had one on was 8 minutes before the tarpon broke my line in some mangroves. Nick took a video of the battle and posted it on Youtube, titled Fly Fishing for Tarpon in Antigua in a Kayak. It was a great time and Nick was great.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Winchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

I hired Nick's services whilst staying at the Reefview Appts (for the second time), as i knew what a great fisherman and guide he was from previous experience on deep sea/trolling trips. But my main fishing passion is fly fishing so I really wanted to try for my own grand slam in Antigua! I spent a week with Nick in all, we fished for Permit on the flats in Cades Bay, Tarpon in Jolly Harbour, Snapper and Barracuda in Nelson's dockyard and Jacks from the boat. I was delighted to catch a number of Tarpon on the fly, and also Jacks and Barracuda, the Permit still remained elusive! I thoroughly recommend Nick's guiding as he has an encylopedic knowledge of the local area and is a massively experienced fisherman with many strings to his bow. I am still recovering from sight fishing for the 50lb+ Snook that we saw in Jolly Harbour!! As a change on my last day we went out in his boat to fish for Wahoo off one of the deep sea shelves towards Montseratt culminating in me hooking and landing a high speed 40lb Wahoo! Needless to say i'll be back next year. It may not be as "easy" as Florida but that just makes it all the more special when you succeed. Just do it!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Cades Bay
Cades Bay
Antigua
Nelson's Dockyard
Nelson's Dockyard
1,863 Reviews
Antigua
Florida
Florida
United States
LA
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

Do you have his phone number? We are heading out next week and would love to hook up with him. Staying at st James club.

Mentioned in this post
St. James's Club & Villas
St. James's Club & Villas
3,661 Reviews
Antigua
Winchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

Hi, his number is +268 5604354 or +268 7702470 or email at antiguanickw@gmail.com. Hope you have a good time!

Houston, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

I am a fly fishing enthusiast, but I have not had the opportunity to go fly fishing for some of the Carribean Saltwater game...My wife and I went out for a half day wading trip with Captain Nick while on our honeymoon a couple weeks ago and had a great time. He was very prompt in responding to e-mails and he was one of the only people I could find that guided fly fisherman in the islands.

We fishedfor tarpon in a small brackish lake set beneath the lush green Antiguan hills. The water was absolutely boiling over with tarpon as they were gulping air to feed on the baitfish below the water's surface. Once we got in the Kayak it didn't take long to get in on the action. I landed two 25-35 lb tarpon on the fly and missed two smaller ones in between. You can check out the YouTube video Nick put together for all the proof. This was one of the most exciting fishing experiences of my life. After landing the second tarpon I asked Nick if we could move over to the flat near his apartments to fish for permit. We spotted a couple and casted to them with no luck. That in no way tarnished this amazing opportunity. I highly recommend Captain Nick for all your Antigua Fly Fishing needs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCPgsVuiDtI

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Lebanon, Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

I fished for Tarpon in early August with capt. Nick. He put my son & I right on pods of feeding Tarpon. We had an action packed morning of fishing. We had countless strikes & landed 4 fish.

Capt. Nick is a really knowledgeable flyfisherman. Really knows fishing at great depth. Just what I needed on my vacation. Great job Capt. Nick. We'll look you up when we come back.

Edited: 6:24 pm, August 16, 2012
St. John's, Antigua
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

I just spent a couple of awesome hours of fantastic fly fishing for tarpon with Capt. Nick early this morning at Darkwood Lagoon in Antigua. Interestingly Capt. Nick had told me to bring my swim fins with me, which made me wonder how sporting and 'in-depth' the fishing was going to be. Turns out Capt. Nick has some Outcast Super Fat Cat float tubes which I believe are the only ones in Antigua. Although I spend a lot of time kayak fishing, this was my first go at float tubing - and what an experience it was. The lagoon was alive with tarpon rolling all around. The early morning light flashing off the silver scales, bronze in the stained brackish water. Although I haven't been fly fishing for years, Capt. Nick soon had me back up to speed and quickly into the tarpon. The Outcast Super Fat Cat float tubes were easy to manoeuvre and really help to control the tarpon much more than a fixed position on land or even kayak. We landed quite a few in the 20lb+ range which Capt. Nick expertly leadered and released. It was an amazing experience and I can't wait to try fly fishing from the float tubes again. So if you haven't tried float tubing I can thoroughly recommend a trip to Antigua for a few days of fly fishing for tarpon with Capt. Nick of reefviewapartments.com absolutey awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Darkwood Beach
Darkwood Beach
353 Reviews
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Issaquah, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

Antigua fly fishing with Captain Nick was an outing of a lifetime. Float tubing for tarpon in Antigua was like sumo wrestling while on a diet. Nick calls these baby tarpon. Now I just have to laugh after waking the next morning with a sore shoulder and huge smile on my face. He got me into 20 lbs. plus fish all day. It's like deep see fishing in a bath tub. Don't bring an 8 wt. unless you want to have only splinters left in your hand. This is a hidden gem for any fly fisherman visiting Antigua. Float tubing allows for multiple opportunities to stalk and sight fishing for these tailing monsters! These fish fight like a marlin for the first 20 minutes and like a king salmon for the next 15 minutes. Nick was great at taking me through all the steps it takes to hook and land these beautiful fish. http://www.antigua-flyfishing.com

Epic adventure, thanks Nick!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

After reading all of these comments I booked time with Nick to flyfish for tarpon and permit. Everything you said is right - Nick replies to emails, gets everything organised, knows about and respects the ecology of the area and its fish life and its amazing birds, knows how to hunt down the tarpon and where to find the permit. On top of all that, he is great company to fish with and to share a celebratory beer with! I managed to hook up with quite a few tarpon and land a couple of beauties - it is quite a feeling to have a tarpon pull you round the water in your float tube. Also saw more permit than I have ever seen before, cast at them and as usual was ignored by them! Great fun, thanks Nick!

Portmahomack...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

Went on a family holiday to Antigua in Feb'13.

Did some searching on the web for fly fishing guides and found Nick.

Nick was very quick in replying back to emails, and informative on what to bring, and expect on the day.

The day itself was one of the best fly fishing days I have ever experienced.

Nick was a very professional guide who looked after me very well on the day.

Nick uses the best equipment available.

With Nick's thorough knowledge and experience, I managed to catch a 36.5lb Tarpon.

I would thoroughly recommend anyone whether a beginner or experienced fisherman to book Nick's fly fishing services when in Antigua.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
sheffield
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly fishing in Antigua with Captain Nick

l must admit l am somewhat reluctant to make this post.l and a few others and been fortunate to find this little goldmine in Nick.....it would be selfish to keep it that way but what true fisherman ever tells you exactly which pool that fish of a life time lies in! l am breaking my own rules here.

Nick was an absolute gent from start to finish.l got picked up from Curtain Bluff( would highly recommend the property) and chauffered to the Tarpon fishing grounds.Top notch fishing kit,excellent guidance,patience in quantity and indeed very accommodating when it came to towing me around the mangrove ( l don't seem to be very adept at controlling a float tube and just going forward to reverse does not cut the mustard) but it was no problem as Nick was at hand.

Fishing for the Tarpon was on my Bucket list........it's not now the box is ticked.However,l have got the bug now and it's simply not going to be a one off!

Permit in the shallow surf another on the bucket list.It's still there we saw several and had a follow but that is all down to me not allowing myself sufficient time out in the surf.Truth be told l knew my goodlady's patience would be starting to wear thin back at the hotel.

Nick l can't thank you enough for making fishing memories l will never lose.That said l intend to go back out there and create even more........there is a permit with my name on it! Your number Nick will be on my speed dial.......

One last point.I believe the locals refer to Nick as' D'White Fooly Boy ' ( Fishing for fish you don't eat) Well how very wrong they are............... but please don't tell them so!!

Mentioned in this post
Curtain Bluff Resort
Curtain Bluff Resort
505 Reviews
Antigua