We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to the Caribbean ...

Baton Rouge, LA
2 posts
Save Topic
First time to the Caribbean ...

Hello all, I'm trying to plan a trip to the Caribbean for myself and three friends. We're all single guys, have traveled together a lot over the years but never to the islands. I spent today browsing through the local library, the local B&N, and the last few hours on the web. I'm down to about 6 diff islands in the Lesser Antilles, but seem to have hit a wall. Although I'm into the snorkeling, hiking and exploring most of our group is into the more laid back vacations, with the basics of nightlife and hanging out on the beach, etc. I've been thinking all-inclusive just to keep things simple, plus the benefits of not having to worrry about all the details, although I'm open to other options. My hope was to travel sometime before May, although I'm still learning the best times to travel these certain places.

Any help/suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated since I'm the guy responsible for making this trip a blast for all of us!

I'll be monitoring the post closely, so if I left out some critically pertinent info or if you have a question please either reply to the post or email me directly, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Baton Rouge, LA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to the Caribbean ...

PS - We're all early to mid-30's so we're not looking for a drunk-fest, but just a place that we can relax during the day and party with like-minded adults into the morning.

Unionville, PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to the Caribbean ...

I would suggest that you strongly consider St.Martin or Antigua for your trip. Both islands have hiking, snorkling and night life. I would maybe lean towards St. Martin although there are not too many all inclusives there. I find that typically the food at all inclusives is not as good as we experience in nice restaurant in the States. Cocobay in Antigua is an exception but that is really a couples resort. Maybe check out St. James ,a larger resort where there may be more action.

St. Martin has a lot to do and many fun beaches to explore, you also have the option of taking the ferry to Anguilla or St. Barts. Check out La Plantation or another hotel in Orient Bay. This would give you the option of hanging out at the beach for a few days, there are many restaurants within walking distance and then you could rent a car and explore the island. Have fun! Please let us know what you decide and why.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
2,440 Reviews
Antigua
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Orient Bay
Orient Bay
St Martin / St Maarten
Manhattan, NYC
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to the Caribbean ...

I don't know if I'd recommend Antigua for nightlife. The AI resort I go to there is VERY quiet, but that's what I like. The quality of the nightlife may be highly dependent on the resort you're at--some are livelier than others--and your proximity to other resorts, bars, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
tbs
Maine- USA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to the Caribbean ...

My sister and I are looking for something very similar. Have you been on your trip yet? Did you find somewhere you liked?

We were looking at Antigua or maybe Virgin Gorda/Tortola. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands