We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal Safety in Antigua

Nebraska
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Personal Safety in Antigua

Anyone had any problems with personal safety in Antigua or on the beaches, e.g. being threatened, harrassed, "mugged"? Planning a trip and thats important to be worry free as well. Thank

London, England
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal Safety in Antigua

Just spent 1 month in Hawksbill and Jolly Beach as a single woman, and had no problems at all.

Once you say 'no thank-you', they leave you alone. I've already booked to go back in February. Similar vibe to Barbados or Tobago - chilled out/no hassle. Nothing like Jamaica.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal Safety in Antigua

my wife and i just came back from antigua, we had our rental jeep broken into with a large duffle bag with swimmsuits camera snokle gear etc our car was looked and it was in st johns so be careful in st johns also a local store in the long bay area a elderly women was robbed and stuck in the haed when she refused to give the thief the registar....antigua is beautiful and the locals are very nice if you are staying in your resort you should not have a problem....dont be afraid to see this beautiful contry but watch your back....hopr this helps

Antigua
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal Safety in Antigua

Bouch 1975 is right to point out the issue of having something stolen from their ca r- but this island is no differnt ot the rest of thework - you do not leave things on view fo rpetty theives to take - you are in paradise but at the end of the day there are criminals everywhere. by and large antgua is very safe - and please don;t expect that you need to stay on the resort - it is so wring to say you are fine if oyu stay on the resort - this is not the Dominican Republic or Jamaica. Just exercise normal cautions and you will be fine.

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal Safety in Antigua

we have been enjoying trips to antigua for about ten years and have never had any safety problems. We follow the same sort of personal safety guidelines as we would anywhere. Rather than stay in a 'tourist spot', part of our fun has been to 'explore' the island by bike and bus.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal Safety in Antigua

denfield give me a break we travel and use the same pre cautions the problem was we were taken advantage of and you ..you just havnt had your turn yet