We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba/snorkeling in Tulum?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba/snorkeling in Tulum?

Wondering if anyone has any advice on scuba shops/tours in Tulum?

I've heard there are great ones right on the beach and cheap!

But where and how safe?

Mystic Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Nativo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba/snorkeling in Tulum?

You can snorkel at most hotels ..almost all provide water acess..if you bring your own gear even better..but can be rented for 5.00-10.00 a day.if you want deep water,colorful reef snorkeling arrange an excursion for the afternoon thru a rep. A great trip we took was Maroma beach excursion.expect to pay in the 30.00 to 40.00 dollar range for snorkel excursion only..many add on extra acivities,(atv,horseback,speed boating) etc for more of a charge. For scuba Tank-Ha inn has good packages,you can book on-line, and they have an excellent rep.Much easier if you are dive certified before you arrive.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,147 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba/snorkeling in Tulum?

Depending on where you stay in Tulum. To the north of the Coba Rd, I believe there is a dive shop next to Sante Fe campground on the beach. Into Punta Piedra (south on the Boca Paila Rd) there is a dive shop right on the road on the beach side near a restaurant. They take you out to a reef to snorkle and then to Caleta Tankah. But basically, there is not must to see just off the shore in Tulum.

Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba/snorkeling in Tulum?

There are several dive shops. A couple right @ the corner of Hwy307 and Boca Paila Rd. Most resorts either have in-house dive shops or reps from local shops pass thru promoting their services. A 2 tank evening dive runs ~ $50USD, you need to be PADI certified. I snorkeled directly off of the beach (@ Cabanas Copal) every day (7) and saw many tropical fish, lobster and even a manta-ray. There are also shops on the Boca Paila Rd. Cost of fins & mask is $5USD a day or $3 for mask or $2 fins per day. I would recommend bringing your own if you have them. Cenote diving/snorkeling is also available for something different (fresh water caverns). This was a nice way to cool off after a long country bike ride. Have a blast.