We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are phones working in Tulum?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Holland,MI
Level Contributor
264 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are phones working in Tulum?

Our son left Friday for Bahia Principe Tulum. We asked him to call us when he arrived in resort. We gave him the same phone card we had used when we were at the Riu Tequilla a month ago and had no trouble using. As of yet we haven't heard from him. This morning we called our travel agent to see if she had heard of any trouble with the phone lines down there. She had 5 other parents call this morning wondering the same thing we were. She tryed to call the resort and other resorts near there and couldn't get threw at all. She didn't get a busy signal, just some strange noise. So we figure he is there , he just can't get a call threw. I was just wondering if anybody knows what is going on down there?

missouri
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are phones working in Tulum?

Please let me know if you find out they are not working. I am sending my son and his buddy there March 23rd-30th for Spring Break. Do you know if lots of teenagers go to this resort?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are phones working in Tulum?

I was there just last Saturday (at BHT) and I called home from a lobby area phone collect, without any problems. (I am wondering how much it cost though)

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are phones working in Tulum?

Just returned from Tulum. Our Cingular cell phone did not work there; we'd heard it might not. Tried to make a call thru a local internet service and phone call provider, but they had trouble getting it thru, and it was expensive. We had a great time, always felt safe, and lack of phone communication proved a blessing.

usa
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Are phones working in Tulum?

Did your son have fun at the BHT? How old is he? Did he say if there where lots of teenagers there and lots of things to do at both resorts?

Thank you

Holland,MI
Level Contributor
264 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are phones working in Tulum?

My son is 21 and yes he had a great time. He said there was a wide range of ages there. Not alot of young spring breakers, which was what he wanted to stay away from. He likes to have a good time, but he just isn't into the big party scene. About calling home, he had the same phone card we had used in Playacar about a month before his trip. We had a Tel-Mex card. We have used that card each of the 4 times we have been down there and have always had great luck with it. He said the operators at the hotel said they couldn't use phone cards or 800 numbers, which I thought was real strange. Then he tried to call us again when they went into Playa Del Carmen and got a Spanish speaking operator and couldn't understand her. There is a number to call for an English speaking operator, which he used , but ended up with the Spanish one. So, anyway he had a safe trip and is home now and had a great vacation.

Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are phones working in Tulum?

Hi fellow parents -

Read your posts with interests as I also have a college aged son who likes going somewhere warm with a beach, but doesn't want the party atmosphere of the traditional Spring Break meccas.

I sent him to Cozumel this year which has worked out fine so far

(he's there right now), but think I might want to look into the Bahia for next year. I'll do some research on my own in the meantime, as I don't know a lot about this area or the resort itself, but can anyone share their best tips for arranging a trip there - did you go through a tour operator like Apple or arrange on your own? Also, I'm assuming flight was into Cancun? How did the transportation to Tulum work??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BTW Sandlover - my son almost went to Hope, but decided he wanted to be a little closer to home when it came down to making the final decision. We made several trips up there to check it out and just love your area!!

Holland,MI
Level Contributor
264 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are phones working in Tulum?

We always go thru Apple vacations. You fly in to Cancun and then there are buses or vans to take you to your resort. The only thing my son didn't like about the Bahia Tulum was the 2 hour bus ride from the airport to the resort.

Travelaffecianado- I'm glad you like our area. We have some nice beaches here too, just not the palm trees.