We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

We are staying in Puerto Aventuras for a week but want to spend a day or two on the beach in Tulum. I have read about Playa Paraiso (too crowded as it is further north?), Ana y Jose's (too expensive and charges too much for chairs?), and Ziggys's (don't really want a mattress as a beach lounger). We want decent food, gorgeous beach, regular lounge chairs we can rent or use with a food purchase. Any others to recommend?

Edited: 10:23 pm, May 12, 2014
United States
Level Contributor
176 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

Thanks Pepper and November_Moon for both responses!!!! :-) We are very excited about visiting Tulum, we will be near Puerto Morelos for a week next month and thought visiting Tulum for the day would be a great day trip. Hop on the Colectivo's and head down for a day of exploring and relaxing. Maybe paying to get into the ruins would be a good thing to do as well.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

If you want to visit the small (often crowded) beach at the ruins, keep in mind they start blowing the whistle to clear people off that beach around 4pm. Ruins close at 5.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

The ruins make for an excellent stop - not for the beach, but for the ruins themselves. While this isn't my favorite Mayan site, the location is spectacular on the cliffs overlooking the sea and of course the ruins themselves are very much worth seeing. The beach at the ruins is picturesque, but small - not really a place for sitting down with your towels and cooler for some seaside relaxation. It is much better to go south to the Tulum hotel zone for your beach time where there are miles of white sand beaches.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

You'll need to take a taxi to get to the clubs along the hotel zone, as the colectivos do not run along the beach road but it should only cost about 80-90 pesos. You can get to the ruins via colectivo, however if staying in Puerto Morelos you need to change colectivos in PDC. One set of colectivos runs between Cancun and PDC and the second set runs between PDC and Tulum. I agree with November Moon about the beach at the ruins.

United States
Level Contributor
176 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

Awesome!!!! Thanks for all the tips!! Visit the ruins and head south for the beach!!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

I wanted to add that I was also always against the beach beds at any place we went to until we stayed at The Beach Tulum which is part of Ziggys. Then, I fell in love with them. :-). It was important that I found a place to stay this year that has them. So, you may wish to give them a try if you haven't already.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
990 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

I agree Mocha!!! I hate loungers after being spoiled with Ziggy's beach beds. Soooo much more relaxing and you can still move them around to suit your desire for sun or not.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

Dovey , I would make sure to check out the north beach area , outside the ruins and some places in the south and maybe the first wild beach past the Sian Kaan gate since you are driving . I don't find the north beach more crowded or certainly not too crowded . Try Zazil Kin as a means to enter the beach with parking almost to the ruins . It's a b it primitive but cheap and worth the stop to look around .The back door beach road ruin entrance , just a little further on is nice by car with parking and a short walk to the ruins gate . You will see some glimpses of blue ocean as you head to the ruins on the beach road and we have parked on the side of the road and had some Cliffside shoreline to ourselves at times in the past .

The wild beach 10 minutes down the bumpy Sian Kaan road from the park gate is fairly private and you see the full extent of the main Tulum beach area .

Lots of choices , some best with your own supplies . A whole chicken with fixings from Pollo Bronco in the Pueblo makes a nice picnic meal for around 100 pesos .

One other nice thing about Ziggy's is their large easy use parking lot because seeing your destination and getting off the road might take a couple passes on the winding road .

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,885 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

Most Beach Clubs have lots of parking on the jungle side with signs so very easy

Beware of Ziggy's and Ranitas as they sometimes add in an extra IVA tax item on your bill (illegal) as tax must be in the advertised prices

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Day at the beach in Tulum. Which beach club?

Thank you all for so many great responses. I will check into Ziggy's, Playa Azul, and the others mentioned.