We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car vs. Transfer

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
centralpennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car vs. Transfer

We will be staying in Sian Ka'an at the end of February for 6 days. We are trying to decide whether to rent a car from the airport or to just get a transfer and not bother with driving. Can anyone give us insight as to the ease of driving from the airport into Sian Ka'an? I have read the road in the biosphere can be challenging. We've traveled to and driven on islands like Vieques, where the roads absolutely require an SUV. So we aren't fearful of that sort of trip, but would like to be prepared--do we need an SUV or will a regular car suffice? Also, any reccomendations on specific car rental agencies would be appreciated! Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

I personally would not take the risk or the hassle. A lot of horror stories about car rentals. Unless you are planning a lot of day trips I would chose USA or Canada Transfers.

The highway itself has no issues at all to consider.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

Check out this thread which I started but is comprised of a cut-and-pasted post by Bellasogno. IMHO, it should be required reading for ANYONE thinking of renting a car.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g3198845-i27741-k70…

My only other comment would be to suggest you consider just how much you will actually use a rental vehicle; IMHO, car rental in this part of the world isn't particularly cheap once you tack on the cost of insurance. If you're actually going to using the vehicle every day or almost every day, then it may well be worth the cost but if the vehicle is going to sit in your resort's parking lot most of the time, then you may be better off from a financial perspective using an alternate means of transport or just renting a car on the days you're going to use it.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

The drive down to Tulum is very easy - then once you get to Sian kaan, I think it depends on the weather. Sian kaan is a little remote, so definitely consider how you will get around once you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,988 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

Most the experts rent cars for the freedom and if you stay at remote places like the Sian Kaan

A car rental will cost you about $35 a day with ALL the insurance for a sub compact. Just take the Sian Kaan road slowly. February is still part of the dry season so the road should be in good condition. If it has rained a lot, a bigger car (higher clearance may be needed)

A transfer might equal 5+ days of rental so other than gas, could be about the same cost

Here is another good thread with my car rental experiences and car rental suggustions

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k6931…

Edited: 12:09 pm, December 28, 2013
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,218 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

Staying in Sian Kann is a bit different than staying in most other locations due to remoteness. There are a few hotels and mostly villas. How will you get food/meals? Chances are, there will be no where to walk to. There are no grocery stores or small shops for picking up supplies. Do you plan on seeing anything?...if so, how will you get there?

maine
Level Contributor
781 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

Depends on how much of a homebody you are and how far into the Sian Ka'an you are. If you are not far from the gate, you may be able to get taxis. If you are further down towards Punta Allen, you will be stranded... If you have someone to cook for you and get your supplies, and don't care to be out and about a car would not be necessary. We have stayed in the Sian Ka'an several times and wouldn't dream of doing it without a car.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

All good advice. Determine how often you will be using a rental car. If you're going to stay relatively "planted" just go with a transfer. Take a cab or bus or colectivo to the one or two places you want to sightsee. The road to Sian Ka'an is not too bad but quickly deteriorates south of that and especially in rainy seasons.

maine
Level Contributor
781 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

BTW, been to Vieques, also. Roads in Mexico are far better... the road from CUN to Tulum is an excellent highway, although I hear the road down to Punta Allen is in rough shape right now due to all of the rain. We've never needed an SUV for it. However, I'd ask for a current road update here on this forum or the Tulum Info forum. If you go with a rental, just obey speed limits (do not drive as fast as locals) and watch out for topes and you will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
centralpennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

Thanks for your replies! We are still on the fence, but leaning towards a rental. Some more specifics--we are staying at xamach dos and are planning on eating our meals there. We don't have much of a to-do agenda, as we are total beach bums when on vacation--just like to snorkel, swim, lay around, eat drink and be merry! Part of the reason we chose to stay where we are. That being said...we might get the itch to explore Tulum or something. The prices for a regular sized car seem really low! It seems to be the most economic choice, if it is feasible (without damaging the vehicle) to get to our destination!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car vs. Transfer

In that case, take the advice from VancouverSunDog. I rent regularly with zero problems. Do read up about the "rules of the road" tips. Available in most Forums Top Questions.