We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum Pueblo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Indianapolis...
13 posts
Tulum Pueblo

I'm staying at NVR next week - if I take a cab into the pueblo, might you suggest a fabulous landing spot for lunch and a bit of shopping?

Thanks !

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
28 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Tulum Pueblo

My fave is. Los Aguaschiles at the far south end of of the pueblo along Tulum Ave/Hwy 307. At the corner of Palenque. Between Camello and Kinich. They close around 6 or 6:30.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Tulum Pueblo

Don Cafeto's or El Capitan

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Tulum Pueblo

My advice may be getting repetetive on this subject but Los Aguachiles or El Camello are at the very south end of the town and offer different but very fine seafood values . Google image search the two places . That said there are so many other good choices as well .

Should you choose a different location after some other suggestions I still would advise having the cab drop you at the far south end to see the relatively short distance that the whole strip of the main street occupies . Maybe a mile or something like that . Maybe it's more but it's an interesting wander and doesn't seem like an effort , more like fun to me . Most of the shops at the south end are everyday things like fruiterias and hardware stores with some tourist fare and other shops sprinkled in the middle . We find more "things" on the beach (east) side of the main street but many treats on both sides and you should watch both sides as you walk back north for highlights . The two service roads run on either side of the highway that has large speed bumps to slow traffic and this makes crossing very easy . Somewhere around mid town is a shop called Vincentes that offers original jewelry pieces and art and there are some other nice shops nearby .

Somewhere before that there is a small liquor store with a gentleman who offers tasters of tequila and some other Yucatan liquors . I'm repeating this story purposely because he pointed out to me that the wet 200 peso bill that I had handed him was actually two bills stuck together and one was more than enough . This part is repeated also but it was a bit of a Pemex reverso and worthy of noting again .

Please be happy always

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Tulum Pueblo

I've been to Don Cafetos for breaky. All your American favs there but try the pickled veggies too. I'd then walk around that area as per Juan's suggestions. I'd have late lunch or dinner on the "beach road" south of Tulum Ruins. More little shops to wander in/out of. Personally, I like Zamas for a mix of Mexican/American food and OM café for just pretty good food. Both the last two have great views.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Tulum Pueblo

Juanrojo - Thanks for the shopping suggestions. I read that there is a honey/anise Yucatan liquor. Do they sell that in the liqour that you recommended?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
47,842 posts
6. Re: Tulum Pueblo

honey/anise Yucatan liquor is called Xtabentun - very popular / in every store

We were at Los Aguachiles last month. There Octopus special was excellent

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
47,842 posts
7. Re: Tulum Pueblo

We did stop to see our friends (Marco and Alma) at iTours (at the main intersection) and just across from the San Fran store

They now have a neat restaurant (Italian pizza ) very good

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
25 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Tulum Pueblo

Is Los Aguaschilies open for dinner, or just lunch?

Edited: 10:41 pm, October 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
28 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: Tulum Pueblo

A very early dinner. They close around 6 or 6:30.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Tulum Pueblo

The liquour store I mentioned but can't remember the name does sell Xtabentun and Kalani Coco rum . This is where we first bought them . There are a few other small tiendas that also have these products but they are curiously absent from all the major grocers in Tulum and I always look quite hard for them . The Covi liquor store a few blocks short of the Boca Paila road , east side , heading north also had a good selection of liquours , liqueuers and wine . They carry a line of inexpensive Mexican liqueurs called San Marino that we enjoyed mixed together like coffee liqueur with hazelnut and/or almond and coco ron . A drink like that doesn't require ice in a Tulum eco lodging with limited electricity .