We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum Evictions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,561 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum Evictions

I searched for information on this because I had friends in Tulum who witnessed part of this operation and were frightened by it. According to an article in Novedades, this is what occurred (translated from Spanish). ¨- Yesterday afternoon, at least 200 agents of the State Judicial Police (PJE) and the State Preventive Police (PEP) violently evicted 14 properties between these, the coastal lots with the buildings of "La Estrellita "," Kismet Tulum.Com ", plus others that did not have names on their doors and grilles.

The plots are displaced in the conflict zone known as "Punta Piedra", where the inhabitants were taken at gunpoint from their homes by members of the PJE and PEP, however at no time showed any document to carry out these evictions, reported some of the victims who lost their personal belongings, including cash.¨

Interesting event. I would like to see more details.

sipse.com/novedades/desalojan-con-violencia-…

Nebraska
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Tulum Evictions

Missmarleygirl I have not tried calling them. I planned to email on Monday. Need to give them time to meet with lawyers n such.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Tulum Evictions

Pepper i always thought the same areas as u. But I never understood how the houses were able to b built n sian Kaan.

Edited: 11:34 am, July 21, 2013
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tulum Evictions

It is my understanding that for a few kilometers into the Sian Kaan it is still ejido. Further into it and I am not aware where it starts, the land is able to be titled and not ejido.

It just seems like such excessive measures are used to evict and it is always done without any warnings whatsoever which I always find offensive. It reminds me of the adage "possession is 9/10th of the law".

maine
Level Contributor
538 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tulum Evictions

Imwegener,

See my PM to you...

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Tulum Evictions

Since Sian Ka'an is a biosphere reserve it would make sense to prohibit future deveiopment. In the case of National parks in the US like Assateague Island and Cape Cod they grandfatherered in existing homes but they could not be sold or inherited. In the 50 years since it has been made a park there are now no more private homes there. But these swat raids with no notice on what are probably tourists renting these houses for a week or two vacation is a different story.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Tulum Evictions

THose were not "SWAT' those were 'Policia Judicial' they get in action only if law case was completed, and force power is needed in case of people did not comply with court orders.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,561 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Tulum Evictions

Really not important what they are called, it is still not a wise thing for the police to do in a tourist area.

san francisco
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Tulum Evictions

It's happening again. sipse.com/fotogalerias/desalojan-cuatro-cent…

29. Re: Tulum Evictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 26, 2015