We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

I've read a number of forum postings for the Dreams resort in Cabo that suggest tipping your maid as well as other staff while at the resort. I plan to do that; however, need some guidance as to how much is considered a "good" tip for the maid.....a "good" tip for the bartender......cooks.......waiters/waitresses, etc....... I'm just looking for some suggestions so I can plan accordingly.

OC, Califonia
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

Glad you asked before you left. Here's the deal you need to take about $150 in singles with you. Here's why: I took only $25 in singles and they were gone in the first three days. Now you don't have to tip but it is surely appreciated and when your sitting chatting with the bartender for over an hour and ordering every drink they got, you really feel foolish if you don't give them something. That being said, make sure you bring singles or you will be in my situation with only fives and tens and trying to make change (near impossible) and then giving five dollar tips or worse nothing at all.

I would give the maid about $2 a day.

the waiter at dinners $2 or if he or she was superb $5

The bartender $2 for every five drinks.

Then at the end of your trip go find all the people that realy gave you a great time and tip as generously as you can.

That was my outline and it worked well, especially the generous tipping at the end. I ended up making three great friends out of the staff and we are now keeping in touch via email.

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

I agree completely with flyaway...our $100 in singles went fast

We tipped $3 a night for the maid service...$2 daily for the drink refiller for the mini fridge,,,$2 for breakfast and lunch...usually $5 at dinner...and the four of us alternated $1 tips for drinks

The service at our resort was just too good to not reward

brooklyn
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

DONT BRING 100 USD IN SINGLES!!!! go to your ATM before you leave, take out 20's and exchange them when you get there.

first off all - its kind of disrespectful to tip in USD when visting a country with MEX pesos. how would you like it if you bonus was in a foreign currency?

also, its easier to exchange 20's into pesos rather than

collect singles in the states.

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

moques...a tip is a tip is a tip....they probably get more american money there than pesos to be honest w/ you...we also had a hard time getting $10 pesos to tip w/ from our resort so what do you do then??

sure they pool all their tips together and the resorts convert them for their employees so no inconvenience for them

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,008 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

mogues, the big difference is that USD is just as spendable there as it is in the USA. The other thing someone mentioned is take some $2 bills (USD). Seems that they are a novelty and it reduces the thickness of your wallet.

central Calif
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

They would much rather get a $5.00 US bill than a 50 peso bill or a $1.00 US rather than 10 pesos. The difference is like CO Pilot stated they can spend US but in the states you would need to take the pesos to the bank for exchange.

Toluca, Mexico
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

I agree with the person that says that it´s the best to tip in pesos, because mexican workers have to go to a "casa de cambio" to exchange their tips and use them to buy their needs. They accept dollars because, yes, its a tip, but also because your are their customer and they want to help you in anything they can. I think that, for respect to their person and to a foreign country you should tip in pesos but its up to you. Someone said that in all Mexico would accept dollars, even in non tourist areas, but he is wrong. Go to Veracruz with a bunch of dollars and I'll see you in the nearest "casa de cambio" exchanging your dollars to pesos, because the stores wont accept just because they are not up to date with the exchange rate and they will be afraid to loose with an exchange rate. The dollar rigt now is in about 11.30 pesos.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

In Tulum and the Riviera Maya, USD are just as accepted as Mexican pesos. I don´t think anyone considers USD to be any less convenient than pesos, so I would say, go ahead and tip in USD. No one´s going to have to go to an exchange booth to change them, they will just spend them wherever.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

I forgot the most important part of what I was going to say! It is customary to tip housekeeping staff on a daily basis, rather than upon checkout, because your housekeeper may change from day to day.

Each hotel manages room cleaning assignments differently, but your housekeeper may change during the time you´re there.

10. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 16, 2009