We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum town

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum town

PDC is our destination but would like to go to Tulum one day to have a look around. We are not really beach people so I am wondering what's to see in the town and if it's worth the bus trip.

Thanks

Funkynassau

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum town

Try cruising through the Tulum Living site to see what might be going on....and to see if you find any destinations you would like to visit.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum town

Thanks, I will do that!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum town

It is all about the beach

Stay in PDC..:)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum town

The main highway runs through the town. You can park and eat, shop right there. Then there are neighborhoods on both sides of the highway-some interesting parts, some not so much-just neighborhoods. You can also take the "beach road" that runs along the coast south of Tulum ruins. This is packed with little shops, eateries, places to stay. Getting to the beach here you must go through one of the businesses. Driving further south it opens up and then you have a beautiful view and areas to park and actually use the beach without patronizing a club or business. I'm not a beach layer but love to swim and play in the waves.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum town

Thanks for the replies, I'm now wondering if it's worth the bus ride since we are not beach lovers!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum town

Since you aren't beach lovers, you might REALLY enjoy a trip to Valladolid. It's a wonderful small city inland.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum town

Here's a nice article about Valladolid.

…nytimes.com/2012/…

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum town

Valladolid sounds wonderful! Thanks for the idea. Does the ADO bus go there from PDC?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum town

I'm sure there is one. We always rent a car and drive ourselves.

Taberna de Los Frailes is not to be missed. Opens at 1pm. And the monestary across from it. Most people only hang out near the square but there is more to see. Cenote Zaci is amazingly huge and in the middle of the city. Walk the narrow street mentioned in the article - there is a stone ground chocolate maker. Perfum shop. Lots to discover.

If you can get to the city before 10am. Try to see Casa de Los Venados.

There is an excellent map of Valladolid included with the Mayan Adventure map from cancunmap.com.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum town

Thanks for your help and ideas!