We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants-new and old

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
providence
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurants-new and old

We have not been to Tulum since 2011. What are the new restaurants that are a must? And what are everyone's local favorites? We are both foodies(especially me since I am a chef) but have a passion for local foods as well. After all local is the best wherever you go.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

Best veteran restaurant that seems to actually get better over time: Zamas' Que Fresco. I can't remember the last not-great meal I've had there, it's been years since I said "meh" after a meal there. The last five or six in a row have been really great. The music can't be beat, either.

Have you spent much time on the jungle side of the beach road? In the past year there have been quite a few strong openings there, but El Tabano is still a favorite. I've had two good meals at Hartwood and three at La Onda, looking forward to trying Casa Jaguar (a bit north of Hartwood).

I plan on spending a bit more time in the pueblo on my next trip--have heard so many reports of great new places opening up there! Looking forward to seeing what other folks have to add.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

I agree that Zamas is getting better. We also like Casa Violeta for dinner. El Tabano serves the same menu lunch and dinner - really good indigenious techniques. I like La Luna when I want a salad or sandwich.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

Have never been to Tulum, we are going in 3 weeks and love food, so have gathered a lot of restaurant info.

There are a few newer places that look great:

Simple Tulum:

http://www.simpletulum.com/#

Restaurare - vegan and getting great reviews:

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g150813-d36…

Also looking forward to trying this place:

http://purocorazontulum.wordpress.com/

Have a list going for town as well, but not sure which ones are newer.

Too many restaurants...too little time!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

Zamas is good. th OM is also. Below I've taken a section from an email a friend who lives in the area sent about two yeats ago so things have most likely changed but maybe some ideas:

I've eaten at The Cottage (across from the bus station) and Pequeno Buenos Aires and enjoyed them both. There is a little taco stand called el Arbolito that is about a block south of the traffic light that does a good business. It is definitely local style tacos. Going closer to town our landlords...Abel and Saraji sell tacos de canasta (tacos from the basket) in the morning hours. They are cheap and very good. They are on the far lefthand corner where the monument is in the middle of the intersection (as you head into downtown). After five or six there is a woman who sells the most wonderful tamales. I love the ones called jarochos (j sounds like an h). She has several kinds and hot pinole to drink. Always good.

On the south end of town as you leave town, on the left hand side ( after Subway but before the gas station), is a pescadaria. They sell fresh seafood to take home and cook on one side and they cook the same seafood to serve at tables on the other side of the building. They make great ceviche! I think it's called el Camello (or maybe Camilo)

In the same area (a bit before the fish place) on the right hand side of the road is a little cart selling carnitas. He cooks pork until it is tender and then sells it chopped up to put in tacos or sandwiches. He sells by the kilo and a medio kilo would probably be enough for two people and some leftovers. Then buy some tortillas or bolillos (buns) and have yourself a tasty meal. There is another cart like this next to the tacos de canasta but I think the guy south of town has better. But worth a try if you want to try the local food. By the way, none of the local food I have mentioned will be too spicy unless you use their salsa. Some of the tamales are too spicy for me but just ask if they are picante. The jarochos are not.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

Beachreader-that was for you especially. (didn't make that clear)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

Thanks Cormac! :-)

providence
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

Thanks, as well, cormac. We love El Camallito. Can't wait to find the tamales!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

We are staying at La Luna in July. Is Zamas within walking distance - it sounds great?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

No, it isn't. There is a section from Maya Tulum to Zamas with rocky outcroppings that would make the walk impossible. It would be best to take a cab. Or if you have a rental car, there is parking across the street. Look for the "E" with a circle around it.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best restaurants-new and old

I have done the walk from La Luna to Zamas; it's a bit of a hoof, and as Pepper said the last bit is not so great to walk at the water, but it's do-able.

Sometimes I go all the way along the water to Pez and cut up to the road to get around the rest of the little bay. You walk on the good beach all the way to the point at Maya Tulum and there's a little path up and around that rock and onto a significantly less-good (sometimes smelly) beach that takes you around to Pez and their big rock.

Usually I'd get to Maya Tulum and cut up through their property and walk the road the rest of the way.

But I would never do this walk in the dark, that part at the end would just be not so much fun, so if you'll be coming back after dark, take a taxi, there are tons.