We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip-Thoughts?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
2 week trip-Thoughts?

I am taking a 40th b-day trip. I am 100% on going to NVR in Tulum. I also was thinking about Ixchel Beach Hotel in Isla Mujeres and going to Isal Holbox to stay at Hotel Mawimbi.

Is that too many places to really enjoy in 2 weeks? What order would make sense to do these 3 locations in? How many days/nights would you stay at each location? How would you go from location to location without using an entire day.

I mainly want to lay out on the beach and swim/snorkel in the ocean. I think exploring with a golf cart in town will be fun for a day or so. We love to eat so food is also important to use.

I am post in all forums to get the most opinions.

Thanks!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

I would go to Holbox first then Tulum and then Isla Mujeres. You can use a private transfer company for maximum efficiency. You can get your toodling on golf carts fix on Holbox and IM. Tulum doesn't have golf carts.

I'd probably spend 3-4 nights on Holbox. 5-7 nights in Tulum. 3-4 night on IM.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

Thanks Pepper! Would you stay at Nvr the entire week in tulum or change it up at 2 places?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

I would stay at NVR the entire time. That way the staff can get to know you.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

I myself would not stay at three different places in two weeks. Traveling to and from Holbox can consume a lot of potential beach time.

If you want to change up your beach, Isla Mujeres offers a number of different beaches. In addition to Playa Norte where Ixchel is, you could check out Zama Beach Club or Captain Dulce's Museum/beach. On the rough eastern side stop for a drink at Villa la Bella.

Do get the maps for the Mayan Riviera and Isla Mujeres from www.cancunmap.com.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

When are you planning on going? Will you be around for the whale sharks? Just wondering if that's why you're interested in Isla and Holbox.

Last year my friends and I did 10 days and spent I think 4 nights on Holbox and then 6 in Tulum and it was a really nice balance. Holbox and Tulum are very different places, Holbox is very quiet and it's on the Gulf of Mexico so the water is more jade than turquoise and there aren't waves. We stayed at Casa Las Tortugas and I very much recommend that hotel, it's the best on the island in my opinion and has the nicest beach and beach chairs. (We walked for miles and didn't see anywhere nicer). Holbox has great food, very fresh seafood every day, all within easy walking distance (or golf cart distance) and pretty inexpensive.

Isla Mujeres is more touristy but is also fun, probably more to see (Holbox really was a bit of a snooze in December but I guess things pick up in summer for whale shark season) and do. When we got a golf cart on Holbox, we just saw a lot of not much. It was fun but not thrilling. On Isla, your golf cart tour will take you down to the sculpture park at the southern end where the views are literally breathtaking. Isla is on the Caribbean so the water is more like Tulum's but the beach is more broken up, the North beach being the best beach. But everything's within reach and the resaurant row is kind of fun, felt to me a bit like Playa del Carmen did 15-20 years ago.

Having said all that, I think two weeks is do-able for all three places, and I agree with Pepper's plan of Holbox/Tulum/Isla. Definitely take a transfer service (the one I used to Holbox was Eduardo Garcia and he does e-mail pretty well, very nice man: garciagrimaldo@hotmail.com). From Holbox to Tulum we ended up taking a taxi recommended by the hotel (she called a guy she knew and he picked us up at the ferry, another nice man). From Tulum to Isla Mujeres you can take the ADO bus to Cancun Centro and then a taxi to the ferry terminal, very easy to manage.

Happy Birthday!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

Beach reader, I will be going in late sept/early October. I originally was just going to do a week at nueva vids in tulum and a week in isla but started to think about adding holbox. Based on many other comments maybe I should stick to my week in tulum and week in isla mujeres original plan. Thanks for all ur help!

michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

I would do Tulum, Playa Del Carmen and then Isla.

8. Re: 2 week trip-Thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 04, 2014