We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Playa Paraiso!?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where is Playa Paraiso!?

Hi...been looking over the map and can't seem to locate Playa Paraiso...see that it gets great reviews as the best beach in the area and wanted to stop by and check it out. Can you walk there from the ruins? Can you rent a chair with umbrella (is there any shade - traveling with little ones)? Other nice beach options with authentic restaurants?

Thanks again!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where is Playa Paraiso!?

Beachtown has restaurants and shops, North beach has a lovely beach and several restaurants and the reef comes in a bit closer there than it does for the south beach, making for generally calmer waters. There are boats there that will take you out to the reef in front of the ruins. I haven't been myself but have heard it's still in good shape.

My issue with the north beach, based on my last trip up there in October, is that it does seem to be suffering from overuse a bit. We picked up a few bits of broken glass from the sand, bottle caps, that kind of thing, and there were lots of people (IMO) even in October. It is still a beautiful beach, just hope people will take better care of it.

I apologize, by the way, for not knowing all the local names for the various stretches of beach. I will try to pay more attention to them in future. I've just been referring to them as "north", "middle/beachtown" and "south" for so long that it's hard to remember there are other subdivisions whose names sometimes show up on maps.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where is Playa Paraiso!?

You might like La Vita e Bella. I can't quite remember...but I think you have kids traveling with you. La Vita e Bella has good Italian food - so kids will be happy with the choices.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where is Playa Paraiso!?

And DiffWorld, I also want to thank you for the alltulumhotel map site, it is very useful and very current as far as I can tell.

Fairview, Illinois
Level Contributor
273 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where is Playa Paraiso!?

Great information and map links. We are planning the same outing from the EDSS in 10 days.

We have been to the Tulum Ruins twice but have never made it down to the beach. Is it worth going into town for any shopping?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where is Playa Paraiso!?

EDSS?

Tulum has some nice shops, but it's not what I'd call a shopping destination. I'd say it's about 10/1 tourist stuff to interesting stuff, at least on the main drag.

Fairview, Illinois
Level Contributor
273 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where is Playa Paraiso!?

ElDorado SeaSide about 5 miles north of Akumal.

Interesting sounds better, we really don't need any touristy stuff.

17. Re: Where is Playa Paraiso!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 05, 2014